Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Last weekend in Illinois, how about you? >

Last weekend in Illinois, how about you?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Last weekend in Illinois, how about you?

Old 01-15-2016, 01:40 AM
Spike

Default Last weekend in Illinois, how about you?

As I'm making the first of what will be 3 pots of coffee for this last 3 day weekend of deer season I wonder...how many of you are going out this weekend, who still has time after this weekend, who was done before this weekend?
I have 2 tags left and with the weather going from a high of 41 today to a high of 4 on Sunday, something is bound to happen... Even if that means me sitting there watching squirrels run around all weekend.
Old 01-18-2016, 03:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

My season ended a few weeks earlier, the weather changed here for the worse also, anyway how did you do? Get anything?
Old 01-19-2016, 10:43 AM
Spike

I got a good size doe on first shotgun last fall and a double with my muzzie for late seaon (weekend of Jan 1) first time I got 2 deer from same group with a muzzleloader. I was sha king so bad I'm suprised I got the second one, all well that ends well
Old 01-19-2016, 02:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

We don't have as formal a tagging system here in Alabama as many states do. Just a system of "honor" recording kills on paper. My opinion, this is a farce and needs to be improved upon if the state's wildlife biologists truly think the limits are correct.

The AL. season ends Jan. 31 in the area that I hunt. I have "tagged" one buck ... a nice 11 point that grossed 148 1/2 and weighed 192#. Where I hunt that is a pretty good buck. We have a very liberal doe limit ... 1 each day. My freezer was full when I put the 3 rd. doe in. I have taken 6 since ... 2 donated to feed the hungry and 3 to friends that wanted venison.

The group I hunt with is working closely with the state on a management program. Based upon last year's harvest, trail camera records and field surveys we have been given a quota of 60 does. I don't think we will make that. An unusually warm and extremely wet hunting season has kept many of the guys out of the woods and lead to lush under growth still available. Not much daylight movement until the recent cooler weather moved in.

All in all it has been a fun year for me and I am planning one more 6 day run the last week of the season. Signs are point towards the January estrus cycle kicking in and maybe that monster 10 pt. I have seen twice will show up chasing.

Good luck to all and be safe!