Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

help!!! white hair no blood

Old 11-24-2015, 01:39 PM
Spike

Default help!!! white hair no blood

Hey everyone! so tonight I was walking in to my hunting spot with my muzzleloader when a big 10pt jumped up and ran across the field.. I decided to take a shot at it running at around 70 yards. he was broadside maybe just a little quartering away. From the looks of it running away I thought I took his back leg out, and when I walked up I found ZERO blood but white hair.. I noticed some green slime on the end of the white hair and it also smelled like guts. so my question is did I gut shoot it? I would greatly appreciate some responses. Thanks!!
Old 11-24-2015, 01:48 PM
Banned

sounds like you texas heart shot him
Old 11-24-2015, 02:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yep, gut shot, and why are you here on a computer and not out there looking for that deer? Sounds like you got him in the paunch low so that is 90% sure a dead deer but it will take it a little while to fade out. If you didn't push it, then it probably laid down fairly close to where you hit it or it headed for a water source. Start grid searching tonight going in the last direction you saw it and focus towards the nearest water source.
Old 11-24-2015, 02:30 PM
Spike

Thanks for the reply! when I didn't find blood and just hair I immediately backed out to get some peoples opinions online...after I shot him he ran into a gulley and I actually watched him come out into the field from the road when I walked back to the car and limping up into another woods across the field quickly. not sure if he heard me trying to track where I shot him and he came out or what but I figured its best to give him till morning. glad to hear he should be dead
Old 11-24-2015, 02:43 PM
Dominant Buck

Hope you find him and the yotes don't get to him first. My experience with white hair and not much blood on the scene of the shot isn't good. I agree with SH 54 but would give it a bit of time to lay down.
Old 11-24-2015, 04:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'm not of the "let it lat over night crowd". Busted stomach linings and intestines will make a deer go down pretty quickly as long as it isn't pushed. Once they lay down they will expire if left alone for an hour or 2. The "green slime" tells me lower stomach was opened up. Go to the last place you saw it and start grid searching. Yotes will be on it pretty quickly if you have a lot of them around. I've come up one deer that I had shot less than half an hour with half their rear quarters chewed out!
Old 11-24-2015, 04:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

Like the other guys have said, let it lay for at least an hour.

Then what I do is look until I get tired (fatigued and stupid) usually 2-3 hours. Then get some sleep and start out again at first light.

Take a roll of toilet paper with you to mark where you have already looked, use a system. I use an overlapping spiral system.

I'm the guy who nobody really likes, but always answers the call when someone needs a dog. Most dogs will start eating from the rectum in. That green stuff is a tasty treat for them. They can pick up that scent from a long ways off.
Old 11-24-2015, 05:23 PM
Spike

Thanks for all the reply's guys, im gonna hope for the best. Just hoping I put a kill shot on him
Old 11-24-2015, 05:27 PM
Giant Nontypical

Interesting that a bad shot can happen at short ranges...that's crazy.
Old 11-24-2015, 05:32 PM
Spike

I lead him pretty good with the muzzleloader. not sure how I hit so far back.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.