Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

help!!! white hair no blood

Old 11-25-2015, 03:55 AM
Dominant Buck

Originally Posted by zclar3
I lead him pretty good with the muzzleloader. not sure how I hit so far back.
Good luck looking. I hope you found it. Hitting a running deer is always harder than one standing. This years Vt rifle buck was shot at 40 yds and due to the angle I took out only 1 lung. He ran about 50 yds and I took another shot then he piled up. I had him in the scope set on 3X on the follow up shot and was surprised to only see 1 hole in the vital zone when I got to him. My second shot was in the upper front leg about on level with the heart. Not sure what happened but on a running deer bullet deflection from trees and brush is always a possibility since you are focused on the target.
Old 11-25-2015, 04:45 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by jeepkid
Interesting that a bad shot can happen at short ranges...that's crazy.
Running shot at 70 yards with a muzzleloader isn't really a short shot. Personally it isn't a shot I'd take.
Old 11-25-2015, 04:47 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by zclar3
I lead him pretty good with the muzzleloader. not sure how I hit so far back.
How much do you practice running shots at 70 yards with that rig? My bet is you never have so you have no idea how much lead is required. Muzzleloaders all have a "lock" time where it takes a bit for the powder to ignite plus they fire a heavier bullet at slower speeds than a centerfire rifle. Frankly in my opinion that is a shot you should not have taken. The game deserves better than being gut shot.
Old 11-25-2015, 05:02 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by flags
How much do you practice running shots at 70 yards with that rig? My bet is you never have so you have no idea how much lead is required. Muzzleloaders all have a "lock" time where it takes a bit for the powder to ignite plus they fire a heavier bullet at slower speeds than a centerfire rifle. Frankly in my opinion that is a shot you should not have taken. The game deserves better than being gut shot.
that is my thoughts also.
I hope you find him , let us know.
in the future refrain from taking the shot you think you can make and wait for the shot you know you can make.

no lead ,no dead is not good hunting ethics
Old 11-25-2015, 05:05 AM
Dominant Buck

I would have taken the shot. Most hunters I know have taken running deer shots and will continue to do so if they feel they can make the shot. A running target is pretty common to still hunters. We try to see them first but often they have a leg up. Hitting a running target is certainly something that experience develops. Similar to a bird hunter hitting a grouse busting out of a brush pile and putting distance and trees between you and it in a second or two. In hunting nothing is 100% certain and most of us try to keep the high percentage shots in our magazine.
The OP posted with his story and is a new member. If you don't feel he was right in taking the shot then that is fine and your opinion. He took the shot and will live with the results either positive or negative. Piling on a new member isn't productive.

Last edited by Champlain Islander; 11-25-2015 at 05:11 AM.
Old 11-25-2015, 05:19 AM
Banned

I agree. but neither is condoning a bad choice.
we've all made them at one time or another, so I am not by any means condemning him,. just suggesting that he learn from mistake ,in order to avoid repeating it.

I have no idea what his capabilities are, I know my own. while I believe myself to be an above average shot, I would not have chosen to attempt the shot he described. it was a receipe for disaster. I understand some are capable of doing it and I probably could , myself more often then not. but if I could do it only nine out of ten times, it is best ,IMO, to refrain.
IT is the duty of all hunters to know, what they are and are not capable of doing

Last edited by kidoggy; 11-25-2015 at 05:25 AM.
Old 11-25-2015, 05:33 AM
Dominant Buck

Right or wrong he decided to take the shot. The reason why I am even posting any further is in the hope that this doesn't turn into a bashing. I always tried to post in a constructive way well before I became a mod. There are always going to be members who seem to post negatively which often results in member complaints. I hope to minimize that and try to post constructively as a form of a good example. I would rather see it work out that way than have to act as a mod.
CI
Old 11-25-2015, 07:46 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Champlain Islander
I would have taken the shot. Most hunters I know have taken running deer shots and will continue to do so if they feel they can make the shot. A running target is pretty common to still hunters. We try to see them first but often they have a leg up. Hitting a running target is certainly something that experience develops. Similar to a bird hunter hitting a grouse busting out of a brush pile and putting distance and trees between you and it in a second or two. In hunting nothing is 100% certain and most of us try to keep the high percentage shots in our magazine.
The OP posted with his story and is a new member. If you don't feel he was right in taking the shot then that is fine and your opinion. He took the shot and will live with the results either positive or negative. Piling on a new member isn't productive.
I like you more and more C.I. The shot happened, now lets help him find the deer. Bashing him won't help him find the deer, and it's also unlikely to change his future shot selection. Also, a bashed person likely won't return to the forum. Pretty soon ya'll will have to bash your own posts since there won't be anyone left. If you want to help his future shot selection say "Hey, just a tip, when shooting a muzzleloader you have a short delay between trigger pull and the shot going off. This makes moving shots really difficult, but they are possible if you practice for this situation. Here's how I do it..."
I also take running shots on game, but I practice them. This sounds like it's a dead deer. Put the time in and you should be able to find him. Might take an hour, a day or 3 days, but you should be able to find him. Good luck and let us know.
-Jake
Old 11-25-2015, 08:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

I think everybody has or is going to make a bad shot sooner or later, for whatever reason.

Learn from your mistakes, do better next time.

IMO you have an ethical responsibility to make every effort to find that Deer. And if it hasn't expired, finish what you started.

Blundering around in the brush in the middle of the night for hours is a challenge, but it is not a lot of fun. It kind of inspires you to do better next time.

Tomorrow watch for Vultures, Ravens and Crows, they will show you where it is.
Old 11-25-2015, 10:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

In my personal opinion the disadvantages of searching at night outweigh the advantages on a deer with an unknown hit and no blood.

I know its to late now but I think going back in the morning is the best option for future reference.

Although either could happen I think the odds are better for pushing him than finding him in the dark.

If you had blood I might see it differently.