Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

New One On Me !!

Old 11-21-2015, 03:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

what was your official job title?
RR
Old 11-21-2015, 03:53 PM
Boone & Crockett

Wildlife conservation officer, what was yours? Do You know perhaps Lt Col Bill Daniel or Col Jim Fields both retired from WV DEP?

Last edited by Oldtimr; 11-21-2015 at 04:01 PM.
Old 11-21-2015, 04:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

not blowing smoke about all my procecutins, all you did was presented evidence correct? did you ever slant it in anyway to try and insure a conviction? careful, eyes are on this
RR
Old 11-21-2015, 04:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

Sometimes, Oldtimr. The best thing to say, is wow. Interesting.
Not go off half-cocked. Especially when your not a LEO, any longer.
Old 11-21-2015, 04:20 PM
Boone & Crockett

RR, what kind of crap is that? In PA a WCO prosecutes cases at the Minor judiciary level themselves, at the county court level a DA does it. I don't know what you are getting at. I made a statement that shining a flashlight on a deer while in possession of a weapon is illegal in PA, I posted the law that says so. I don't have to prove a damn thing to you or anyone else, if you don't believe it, come to PA and run around in the dark and shine deer with a weapon in your possession until you get caught, I am sure the judge and a WCO will be more than happy to prove it to you. And Sonnyhunter, I never go off half cocked and it matters not if I am still an active WCO, the law has not changed since I retired and I didn't forget almost 33 years worth of experience and I stated a matter of fact so perhaps someone else will not get caught doing the same thing in PA and get prosecuted and pay a big fine. The problem here is some people who think they know the law decided to run off at the fingers and they were wrong and made a big deal out of something that wasn't a big deal.

Last edited by Oldtimr; 11-21-2015 at 04:25 PM.
Old 11-21-2015, 05:38 PM
Nontypical Buck

I was walking into a high seat at zero dark thirty, hear this crashing sound and fired up my flashlight. A third year old Red Deer Buck was raising a ruckus. He decided I was his new play toy. Thankfully I was in a stand of Pine that was about half mature and hadn't been thinned yet. Seems like forever I was dodging around Pine trees and trying to keep trees between me and him. It went on for a long time, best guess is 3/4 of an hour. I was getting a little panicky and huffing like a steam engine after awhile. I never really did figure out if he was playing or looking for trouble or both. It was more like hide and seek than a serious sort of thing.

Now that i know the law, the next time I'll turn out my light and play that game in the dark.
Old 11-21-2015, 06:06 PM
Super Moderator

No disrespect OT. The point, is this. You're on a hunting forum. Sitting at home, on a computer. On a hunting forum. You're retired. Enjoy the story. Say "wow, neat experience." If you enjoyed the chase that much you shouldn't have retired. I clearly stated it was illegal. And I clearly stated that it didn't matter. You're not going to prosecute him. So the only thing you're doing is looking for a forum fight. We don't need that here. Appreciate the story and say so, or move on.
-Jake

Last edited by Bocajnala; 11-22-2015 at 02:51 AM.
Old 11-21-2015, 06:09 PM
Super Moderator

Mudderchuck, exactly. My guess is 99% of people would have kept the light on that deer. And the 1% that wouldn't are probably lying.
-Jake
Old 11-22-2015, 04:09 AM
Boone & Crockett

No Boca, I wasn't loking for a fight, I made a simple statement and someone cames along and says it is absolutely wrong, it was not, then you came along and say it doesn't matter because of mens rea, that is not true. If you read the law I posted it says exactly what I said, it is unlawful to intentionally shine a light on big game while in possession, not to accidentally do it, the first time was accidental, the 2nd time intentional. And these things are prosecuted in PA if seen. I made the statement so people know it and don't find themselves in trouble and I won't be told I am wrong if I am not, hence the argument.
Old 11-22-2015, 04:16 AM
Nontypical Buck

reckon pa doesn't mention officers discretion in their laws, so on your way to your stand before first light, you hear something big moving in the leaves, put your light on it to identify it, if its a deer, and the wco is there you get a citation, sounds reasonable to me
RR

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.