Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

question for all members

Old 11-21-2015, 11:31 AM
Spike

Default Just A Few Questions..

1) Does your scope externally adjust 1/4 MOA or centimetrically?

2) What magnification is it? (Who makes it and what model?)

3) What caliber/load again?

4) What is the weight, and the chronograph calculated BC of your bullet?

5) What is your MV three (3) feet from the chronograph?

6) Make and model of rifle? Also, the barrel length and twist.

7) Set/match trigger? Glass bedded stock?

8) What external ballistic program do you use?

9) What kind of LRF do you use.

10) At what elevation do you hunt?

I routinely shoot 1300-yards, on paper, started shooting 1,000 meters at Quantico and then at Lejeune, been doing it for thirty years, and I NEVER TARGET GAME AT RANGES THAT EXCEED 600-yards. Its unethical, in my opinion to do so, and unless you have VERY GOOD ANSWERS to the above 15 questions, you shouldn't be doing it either.

Bronc
Old 11-21-2015, 12:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

Bronc, experience can answer a lot of questions that you haven't asked. And it speaks more about the shooter than the questions you did ask.
Old 11-21-2015, 01:53 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Broncazonk

I routinely shoot 1300-yards, on paper, started shooting 1,000 meters at Quantico and then at Lejeune, been doing it for thirty years, and I NEVER TARGET GAME AT RANGES THAT EXCEED 600-yards. Its unethical, in my opinion to do so, and unless you have VERY GOOD ANSWERS to the above 15 questions, you shouldn't be doing it either.

Bronc
What the heck, I'll humor him...

1. 1/4, 1/3 or 1/8 moa adjustments, depends on the optic.

2. Huskemaw, Zeiss, Leupold...take your pick.

3. .243 ack, 6.5x284, 7mm RUM, custom wildcats...take your pick.

4. 105 gr Berger, 140 gr Berger, 200gr Wildcat RBBT, 150 gr ABLR...take your pick. I use manufacturers BC as a starting point and then shoot drops to make changes and adjust accordingly.

5. Each rifle is different.

6. All custom rifles built on either Rem 700's or custom actions. Barrels are all a bit longer then the norm and fast twist.

7. Timney, Jewell or worked over 700 triggers. All stocks glass and/or pillar bedded.

8. Nightforce/Exbal.

9. Zeiss.

10. 2,000-5,000 feet normally.

IF you routinely shoot 1300 yards then you should know that with the right equipment and lots of trigger time it really isn't THAT hard, not as easy like they portray on TV, but not very difficult either.
Old 11-21-2015, 01:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

[

Bronc
onece again I shoot different rifles but for ****s and giggles here is my favorite, its a left hand Remington 700 built by ray romain of Brockport pa, has a 30" kreiger 8 twist senduro weight barrel, its pillared and glassed into a joel russo a5-L stock, has a 8.6x25 loopy mark 4 with M1 turrets and a TMR reticle
its chambered in 6,5 gibbs which is a 270 win. necked to .264, the shoulder moved foreward about 1/4" and the shoulder angle changed to 35 degrees
with my load it runs a 140 gr berger at 3160 fps, my tests show the bullet runs an actual BC of .7
the trigger is a factory 700 trigger professionaly tuned
I use a dell axiom PDA running exbal, and a leica 1200 rangefinder
I hunt at less than 3000 fasl
now I ansered your questions, show us your proof that you have done more than a google search.
RR
Old 11-21-2015, 02:03 PM
Dominant Buck

RR speak English please. You lost me at Hello.
Old 11-21-2015, 02:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

CI hope I answered your questions on post 15
RR
Old 11-21-2015, 02:21 PM
Dominant Buck

You did and I was just funnin ya. Have you ever fooled around with the 6.5 Creedmoor. I was reading a piece a few months ago and it was kind of developed as a target match type load but in the past few years has been modified to a hunting load with MOA accuracy at long yardages.
Old 11-21-2015, 02:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Champlain Islander
You did and I was just funnin ya. Have you ever fooled around with the 6.5 Creedmoor. I was reading a piece a few months ago and it was kind of developed as a target match type load but in the past few years has been modified to a hunting load with MOA accuracy at long yardages.
its a 6.5, so its gonna have impressive ballistics, it actually makes the most out of a 308/243 case. its an awesome round to learn to shoot long range with, barrel will last almost forever
RR
Old 11-21-2015, 02:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

Bronc
I'm kinda wondering why an old Marine such as myself would be wondering about "external ballistics programs" or any other fancy dancy new fangled BS. I was shooting long range before any of that crap was ever dreamed of with the old lightly modified M40 and M40A1 and we certainly had nothing along those lines. BD card, a protractor and weighted string, Stadiametric scopes for finding range was state of the art back then. You kids get all the new fun toys !
Old 11-21-2015, 06:26 PM
Spike

Default Yep. You need to stay under 600-yards

Okay. You're looking at a Rem Mod 700 with blueprinted bolt and lugs in 300 Win Mag. The Canjar single set trigger goes at 3 pounds unset and 1/4 pound set. The barrel is H&S Precision stainless in 1/10" and it's been cryogenically stress-relieved. The tube is fluted and has a JS Brake affixed for sound suppression. The stock is H&S Precision, aluminum pillar bedded with glass fore-action bedding. The bottom metal is steel H&S. The scope is a Schmidt and Bender 10x PM II .5 centimetric. The S&B is detachable on a 20 MOA rail because the other optic that often gets attached is a AN/PSQ-20. This weapon has been contractually deployed on multiple occasions in SW Asia. The bullet is 190 gr. and the MV is 3050 fps.

Trust me son. To hunt ethically, you need to stay under 600-yards. Deer, elk, caribou, antelope, wild sheep--I hunt them all about every year--do not stand still like people do, and they have a bad habit of moving right when you touch the trigger.

Your 140 gr. bullet weight is on the ragged edge of not not being heavy enough. The retained energy at 800 yards is marginal. Also, you do not have a .7 BC. Period. You don't have it with a G1 or G7 drag coefficient. Using a factory trigger on a game animal at long is unwise, and in fact, unethical.

Listen to me or not.

Bronc
Attached Thumbnails question for all members-noreensm.jpg  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.