Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Hunting Accidents

Old 07-07-2016, 12:39 PM
Typical Buck

Back in high school, we lost a classmate to a hunting accident. I can't remember exactly when it took place, but I do know it occurred some time during late 2009 or early 2010.

The classmate, an acquaintance of mine, was out in the woods near his house squirrel hunting with a friend. From what we were told, the guy's friend was handing him a 22 revolver (which was illegal by the way; under 18s aren't allowed to hunt with handguns in Tennessee). Apparently abandoning all common sense, the friend handed it to him loaded and with his finger in the trigger guard. Then, my acquaintance, also abandoning all common sense, grabbed the revolver and pulled it toward himself by the barrel. The gun fired and the bullet struck him in the neck. They tried to airlift him to Vanderbuilt, but he never made it there.

That was a sobering moment for the rest of us. There were always plenty of us at school who hunted, but I think that was the first time someone any of us personally knew was killed in a hunting related accident.
Old 07-07-2016, 12:56 PM
Typical Buck

Also,

WHY THE [redacted] are people shooting at just MOVEMENT!?!
Old 07-07-2016, 01:10 PM
Boone & Crockett

Most all what are called hunting accidents, while not "on purposes" are not really accidents. They are the result of extreme carelessness and or negligence. I had the sad duty to investigate dozens of what used to be called hunting accidents and are now more properly called hunting related shooting incidents in my state of PA and do result in criminal charges being filed. The extent of the injury determines the grading of the charges The stupidity of how most of these things happen defy imagination. In all the incidents I investigated over 13 years, only one could be considered an accident, it was a line of fire accident where the offender could not see the victim and my investigation proved it and there were no charges. The rest of them were a litany of giving no thought to what the people were doing and placing a higher value on a piece of game than human life or limb. Falling out of tree stands and the like are not considered hunting related incidents under PA law or for record keeping purposes since a firearm or bow and arrow did not cause the injury or were not fired in the direction of another person. To use the term accident when one person shoots another as a result of carelessness or negligence makes it appear it was just one of those things and lessens the seriousness of the matter. The real kicker is that many, if not most of these incidents involved people who were hunting together.
Old 11-13-2016, 04:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Accidents happen

because some people do four bad things at the same time in addition to the one major one.
At times, I found myself making one mistake and immediately correcting it. No accident.
Old 12-09-2016, 07:19 PM
Fork Horn

Google NY hunting accidents 2016. The list is pretty long with a DEC officer shot.
Old 12-10-2016, 04:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

Talking

Michigan
A 15-year-old in Newaygo County has been shot in an apparent hunting accident.
The teenager was shot in the lower leg after an accidental discharge by another person in his hunting party.
The shooting happened in an elevated blind the two were hunting from.
The victim was flown to a Grand Rapids hospital with serious but non-life threatening injuries.

Police say one hunter has died and two others have been injured in hunting accidents in Mid-Michigan.

The Alpena News and the Petoskey News-Review report Michael Heisler was shot while hunting on Friday on state land in Albert Township, about 180 miles northwest of Detroit. His obituary says the 52-year-old was from St. Clair Township, near Port Huron.
Police say Heisler didn't return from hunting on the first day of Michigan's firearms deer hunting season. He was found shot in the leg.
In Tuscola County, police say a woman shot herself with a shotgun while hunting near Mayville.
The woman was airlifted to Hurley Medical Center in Flint, where she is recovering with serious injuries. The woman's name has not been released.
In Alpena County on Sunday, authorities say a 29-year-old Posen woman was shot in the leg at an Alpena Township residence. Officials say she was wounded when a 57-year-old man was loading his rifle in the home as he prepared to go hunting and it discharged.

Man from Houghton is still missing been close to 30 days now.

Al
Old 07-17-2017, 12:20 AM
Giant Nontypical

I will say this.

If the very basic firearm safety rules were followed nearly all "accidents" could be avoided.
Old 08-10-2017, 09:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

Met a guy who blew his own tricep off. He was climbing his stand with the loaded shotgun slung over his shoulder. Strap broke, gun discharged upon hitting the ground, and the slug entered below his elbow. Sure made me conscious to the extent I make sure the weapon is unloaded and barrel pointing downward while I pull it up into tree.

Also, heard a story of two hunters fighting over a treestand in Missouri. One climbed into the stand. The other was pissed off and shot him out of it. Bullet holes through bottom of stand!

Just getting peppered across a dove field is no fun. One pellet to the eye is enough to ruin your eyesight. "Always wear protection" is not only for sex ed class!!!
Old 08-10-2017, 09:51 AM
JW
Super Moderator

Safe Hunting IS NO Accident!

JW
Old 08-10-2017, 11:12 AM
Typical Buck

No such thing as an accident while hunting Think about it !!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.