Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

WhiteTail Help

Old 10-05-2015, 09:07 AM
Spike

Default WhiteTail Help

Having trouble locating deer this year, not sure if it is too warm(was 55°) or if I an playing the situation wrong. I was on my way to a scouted location and I came across some fresh loose green droppings. I followed the trail back down the hill and it went out to a grass field south of the droppings.

I went back to the droppings and then followed the trail towards the field and located a licking branch on the trail. I then went south of the trail about 20 yards and setup. I was there from 1pm until 8pm and never even heard a deer. I had the wind from the north and was in scent locked clothing. Any advice you can give would be appreciated.

Trail to field is the marker for where I was setup.

Old 10-05-2015, 11:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

Deer are on acorns very heavy right now. Find a producing white oak and you will find deer.

The trick is white oaks produce about every other year but a heavy crop about every 3rd year. Find one on a heavy crop.

Last edited by rockport; 10-05-2015 at 11:25 AM.
Old 10-05-2015, 11:30 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by rockport
Deer are on acorns very heavy right now. Find a producing white oak and you will find deer.

The trick is white oaks produce about every other year but a heavy crop about every 3rd year. Find one on a heavy crop.
wouldn't the loose green poop indicate alfalfa? it wasnt like individual pellets it was like one lump of pellets smooshed together.
Old 10-06-2015, 03:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

Talking

Yes the loose wet dropping yell grass & some corn if near by.
I have deer on my lawn feeding every day from about 3:00 PM till about 7:00 PM when they move to the corn field next door.
Same in the morning from just after first light till about 10:00 AM they are once again feeding in my yard on the grass some even bedding there.

Al
Old 10-06-2015, 04:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by shift3
wouldn't the loose green poop indicate alfalfa? it wasnt like individual pellets it was like one lump of pellets smooshed together.
Yeah probably but I'm tellin ya if you have white oaks dropping right now(I don't know where you are) that is where the vast majority of the deer are. Specially the big deer.
Old 10-06-2015, 04:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

As Rockport mentioned deer will be hitting the source of food that offer the greatest amount of fats and proteins. In the past that would have been chestnuts but we all know how that went so in today's world it is for the most part white oak acorn droppings. They are getting ready for the months ahead so if someone has another source out they will hit the acorns up and then move to other sources. Keep in mind if you have a few oak trees in an area dropping, a couple of deer and squirrels can clean the green ones up pretty quickly in a single sitting and require another night and day to drop more on the ground. Animals will still check these places out for fresh droppings before moving on so always a good idea to check into them.
Old 10-06-2015, 05:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

Another tip.

Be there in high winds. Mature deer learn the high winds means acorns falling.
Old 10-06-2015, 06:36 PM
Spike

I wouldn't be down that low during daytime. The thermal is pulling up the hills even though you have the N wind and think you're in the clear. Lots of swirling can happen down low too. I would expect bedding on all those points at the same elevation you have marked with a N wind. If that was my spot, I'd setup as close as I can to the bedding points, at the same elevation they're bedding, and with my wind blowing just off the side.