Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Man dies after falling from tree stand >

Man dies after falling from tree stand

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Man dies after falling from tree stand

Old 09-23-2015, 03:04 PM
Spike

Default Man dies after falling from tree stand

“Officials are investigating a fatal hunting related accident. It happened at about 7:30 p.m. Monday.

Officials with the North Carolina Wildlife Resources Commission said 70-year-old George Olivo of Reidsville was killed from the injuries he suffered when the tree stand he was in fell to the ground.

Olivo was transported to Cone Health where he died.

"As a hunter myself, of course you never want to hear about it, both in my personal life and work life. Again, it's something that could happen to any of us," said North Carolina Wildlife Resources Commission Officer Nathan Green.”

http://www.twcnews.com/nc/triad/news...-accident.html

Always use safety harness.
Old 09-23-2015, 03:46 PM
Typical Buck

Sorry to hear about this death. Because here always seems to be a story like this every year I would like to rephrase what Hunter4512 Said:

ALWAYS USE A SAFETY HARNESS. ALWAYS USE A SAFETY HARNESS. ALWAYS USE A SAFETY HARNESS. ALWAYS USE A SAFETY HARNESS. Not enough said.
Old 09-23-2015, 03:47 PM
Boone & Crockett

This is why I don't use climbing stands, I build my tree stands in the tree. I well remember a ride down in a Baker tree stand many years ago. What a shame, lived 70 years only to die like that.
Old 09-23-2015, 03:53 PM
Giant Nontypical

Happens every year. Never understood why people don't wear harnesses. Makes no sense.
Old 09-23-2015, 04:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Some hunters

fail to use any safety device, including a safety harness.
Some hunters use a safety harness and die from a fall. Nothing absolute about safety.
Old 09-23-2015, 05:24 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Oldtimr
This is why I don't use climbing stands, I build my tree stands in the tree. I well remember a ride down in a Baker tree stand many years ago. What a shame, lived 70 years only to die like that.
It wasn't the climbing stand's fault the fellow didn't wear his safety harness.....
Old 09-23-2015, 05:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

Am I missing where it said he was using a climbing stand?
Old 09-23-2015, 05:55 PM
Fork Horn

Folks,
I must be missing something, I followed the link and I have not found the mention of a climbing stand until a reply concerning the incident. It was not in the origional decription or the link. All I saw was a stand fell, could be any stand. A strap could break and a stand fall. Where did I miss the reference to a climbing stand? This is a terrible event and hope we all take precautions as we use our stands but I did miss the climbing stand reference.
Old 09-23-2015, 05:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Valentine
fail to use any safety device, including a safety harness.
Some hunters use a safety harness and die from a fall. Nothing absolute about safety.
I think most here would agree it's wise to minimize risk.
Old 09-23-2015, 06:01 PM
Fork Horn

I hate to say this but there is a generation that rejects the use of safety devices. I know I used stands for years without a harness, then it took me a couple of years (and the input from mom) to get my father to use a harness. He is in his mid seventies and uses his climbing stand daily (during season) but now with a harness:-)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.