Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Man dies after falling from tree stand >

Man dies after falling from tree stand

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Man dies after falling from tree stand

Old 09-28-2015, 09:36 AM
Dominant Buck

Originally Posted by BigfknJay
I am on board where it is not the stands fault he didn't have a harness on . I am a big SOB. I use a summit climber, and I am not trying to push them here, I personally like it. Thank the lord and pass the hat I have never had a slip or fall . But I still wear my harness. Its not if your going to fall but when .
I like them too...and my vest and lanyard go up attached to the tree as I go.

Welcome to the forums big guy.
Old 09-28-2015, 10:50 AM
Spike

This is horrible. I'll admit I'm guilty of not using a harness with my climber but after seeing this (as well as other stories) I think I'll smarten up this year and use one...
Old 09-28-2015, 11:47 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by Champlain Islander
I like them too...and my vest and lanyard go up attached to the tree as I go.

Welcome to the forums big guy.
Thank you for welcoming me.
Old 10-07-2015, 05:26 AM
Fork Horn

That is awful....I always make sure that myself and my 13 yr old boy ALWAYS wear our safety harness....I hunt with my brother-in-law who does not wear one...I don't understand it...I have told him my piece about not wearing a harness....I tell him all it takes is "one time"...I just don't get not wearing something that can save your life!
Old 10-14-2015, 05:04 PM
Fork Horn

I personally know two people who are paralyzed because of a climbing stand fall. PLEASE wear those harnesses every time.
Old 10-14-2015, 06:01 PM
Fork Horn

I have heard quite a bit in the thread about climbing stands falling even though it does not state the individual was using a climbing stand. I use a climbing stand (summit) and have used one for 15+ years. Unless both portions give out at the same time I do not understand how one can fall. You lock one piece in, move the second half and lock it in place so both are locked. Now you unlock one and move it and relock. A vey simple and safe process. This is similar to the process used when climbing trees using steps and limbs, only disengage one anchor point at a time and three points are always locked. This was the process before all the super harnesses were available.

I just do not understand the climbing stand falling.
Old 10-15-2015, 04:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by MaineRida
I have heard quite a bit in the thread about climbing stands falling even though it does not state the individual was using a climbing stand.....
I certainly agree w/your observation about detail on stand type. The issue is that people are either careless or don't take proper time to learn or use the product properly. The harness is just an extra/necessary layer of protection, as you know. Users can be harmed on any stand type and rarely is it product design/integrity at fault. No ounce of accident prevention should be overlooked. Getting users to be responsible is the real problem.

Last edited by Game Stalker; 10-15-2015 at 04:22 AM.
Old 10-15-2015, 04:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by MaineRida
I have heard quite a bit in the thread about climbing stands falling even though it does not state the individual was using a climbing stand. I use a climbing stand (summit) and have used one for 15+ years. Unless both portions give out at the same time I do not understand how one can fall. You lock one piece in, move the second half and lock it in place so both are locked. Now you unlock one and move it and relock. A vey simple and safe process. This is similar to the process used when climbing trees using steps and limbs, only disengage one anchor point at a time and three points are always locked. This was the process before all the super harnesses were available.

I just do not understand the climbing stand falling.
Overlooking your gear can lead to one portion of a climber failing. If it is the bottom section and the individual is not wearing a safety harness then they may not have time to catch themselves. Also keep in mind that I see a fair amount of individuals in the woods that cannot do a single pull up so even if they catch themselves it is only a matter of time before they cant hold themselves up and drop. Just something I have observed over time and to add I have also seen people climbing their stands with bow or gun strapped to them or their gear still attached versus using a rope to retrieve gear after they get situated. Sad thing all around and something easily caused by complacency or rushing, not saying this is the case but something we should all be aware of.
Old 10-27-2015, 08:30 PM
Spike

"I don't understand why he didn't use a harness". I see a lot of posts like this. Maybe because he didn't want to. Maybe he made peace with the potential consequences, and continued doing what made him happy.

What I personally don't understand is why so many people have to voice their insecurities over the choices others make. If I choose to sit a stand without a safety harness, you can still choose to sit your stands with a harness.

If you like a harness, wear it. ... Edited by Champlain Islander

Last edited by Champlain Islander; 10-28-2015 at 04:20 AM. Reason: comment confrontational
Old 10-28-2015, 04:07 AM
Boone & Crockett

Hey new guy! Perhaps you forgot this is a discussion forum. Hard to have a discussion if you don't put forth your opinion, even your ill conceived one.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.