Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Man dies after falling from tree stand >

Man dies after falling from tree stand

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Man dies after falling from tree stand

Old 09-24-2015, 08:50 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by JW
One other thing about those Safety Harnesses - the 5 point vests.
Inspect Each yr and look for wear and tear. And if you should fall.

They are a ONE TIME USE if you should slip and fall! The arrest system will be used up. Go buy another.
What is your life worth to you?
JW
I got one from Gander Mountain on special years ago. I eventually read the fine print, one year guarantee, (paraphrasing) not UV safe (Long-term exposure to sunlight or ultraviolet radiation can affect the strength of synthetic webbing). I guess it was for nighttime use only.
Old 09-24-2015, 09:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by MudderChuck
I got one from Gander Mountain on special years ago. I eventually read the fine print, one year guarantee, (paraphrasing) not UV safe (Long-term exposure to sunlight or ultraviolet radiation can affect the strength of synthetic webbing). I guess it was for nighttime use only.
They just dont want you to leave it outside or at the stand while you are not there.
Old 09-24-2015, 09:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by olsaltydog
They just dont want you to leave it outside or at the stand while you are not there.
I think they just don't want a lawsuit if it fails.
Old 09-24-2015, 09:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by rockport
I think they just don't want a lawsuit if it fails.
Yep. Again RIP George, and i wish a sincere condolence to his Fam, this is a sad deal.
Old 09-24-2015, 09:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by gjersy
Yep. Again RIP George, and i wish a sincere condolence to his Fam, this is a sad deal.

You never know, he may be at peace with making it 70 years doing things the way he wanted to.
Old 09-24-2015, 09:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

I hope so, rockport.
Old 09-24-2015, 10:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

I hope so, rockport.
I think we all have our risks we are willing to take. I just started using a harness last year and I now use all ladder stands but I still don't use my harness on the way up the ladder and probably never will. I hook to the tree as soon as I get in the stand.
Old 09-24-2015, 10:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by JW
Doesn't matter what stand it was. A harness and a tether should have been used whether it was a climber or a ladder stand.
There are safety harnesses and safety straps that will tether the hunter in for both from the ground up and back down when using either.
AND THE ONLY SAFETY VEST TO USE IS A 5 POINT VEST!
For a ladder stand tthere is a system sold now that is a rope which is tied to the bottom rung and then tied up above in conjunction with the prusik knot which slides on that rope and is attached to your safety harness strap and is the way to go. That is what we highly stress now in all of our hunter safety classes. Can yo fall off a ladder stand? You betcha!
Yes it takes more time but it is your life.
Safe Hunting is NO Accident!
Tree Stand Accidents is a Leading cause of hunting accidents in today's world and why it is stressed so heavily on part of the tests to pass Hunter Safety courses.
JW
OK then! Please don't disrespect George's death with safety harnesses sales. RIP GEORGE. I hope his Fam does not read this thread
Old 09-24-2015, 02:41 PM
Zim
Nontypical Buck

I didn't see it mention he used a climber, nor that he did not have a safety harness on. Either way, I feel climbers are much safer than hang-ons when combined with a good harness. I'm attached to the tree 100% of the time when I use my LW. Not 99%. 100%.

Just a 2' jump down from a set of climbing sticks in 2013 cost me 20 months of miserable plantar faciitis. Ended 40 straight years of running 20 miles/week for me. At 56 I am now struggling to get back in shape from inactivity. Be attached 100.00% of the time. Not worth the risk.

Last edited by Zim; 09-24-2015 at 02:48 PM.
Old 09-24-2015, 03:03 PM
Dominant Buck

OK then! Please don't disrespect George's death with safety harnesses sales. RIP GEORGE. I hope his Fam does not read this thread
5 point vest is not a brand but a configuration of safety equipment made by all the manufacturers and deemed by safety engineers to give a person falling the best chance for living. I think we as members of HNI share the sadness but since it is a hunting site I for one welcome information on how to be safer.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.