Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Opening  Day Success in Florida >

Opening Day Success in Florida

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Opening Day Success in Florida

Old 09-25-2015, 01:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

Another congtradulations. Nice X-Bow buck.

I bet some of the guys way up north cannot fathom hunting in 90 +/- degree F , humid conditions such as we put up with here in the deep south. With gnats, 'skeeters, horse flies, wasps, sweat bees, etc. looking to you for a meal. Not to mention poisonous snakes ... and in your part of the world the diamond back rattler. I am a tad too far north for those critters, but we get some hefty timber rattlers from time to time. Again, good looking buck. Juat curious, what'd he weigh?
Old 09-25-2015, 08:57 PM
Giant Nontypical

Congrats !!!

He has a beautiful colored rack........
Old 09-27-2015, 02:03 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Mojotex
Another congtradulations. Nice X-Bow buck.

I bet some of the guys way up north cannot fathom hunting in 90 +/- degree F , humid conditions such as we put up with here in the deep south. With gnats, 'skeeters, horse flies, wasps, sweat bees, etc. looking to you for a meal. Not to mention poisonous snakes ... and in your part of the world the diamond back rattler. I am a tad too far north for those critters, but we get some hefty timber rattlers from time to time. Again, good looking buck. Juat curious, what'd he weigh?
I would say around 150. Don't have a scale.
Old 10-01-2015, 09:43 AM
Typical Buck

Hers an update with my buck. Here's the finished product, I did the mount myself. Here a picture of the buck the day before as well.
Attached Thumbnails Opening  Day Success in Florida-2015-10-01_13.32.57.jpg   Opening  Day Success in Florida-1406172173.jpg  
Old 10-01-2015, 10:33 AM
Giant Nontypical

European mount - I love the color differential between the skull and the horns !!!
Old 10-04-2015, 11:22 PM
Typical Buck

Thanks. The color is cool and glad it turned out as white as it did. YouTube helped a lot. I did the creme 40 volume and basic white for these skulls. I'm trying to find a 3 or 4 gallon pot and get the 20 volume and boil it in peroxide. Think it would be easier especially with the hog skull. This is the hog I did as well.
Attached Thumbnails Opening  Day Success in Florida-794263143.jpg   Opening  Day Success in Florida-2007948844.jpg   Opening  Day Success in Florida-1786082685.jpg   Opening  Day Success in Florida-1569580937.jpg  
Old 10-05-2015, 06:01 PM
Fork Horn

Great looking skulls, I am jealous. I will be doing my first hog hunt at the end of the month, had planned on shooting behind the ear but after seeing the skulls I don't want to ruin the mount.... Great job!
Old 10-07-2015, 02:36 AM
Typical Buck

Yeah that's what I usually do. When I saw this guy I shot him in the neck and spine though. Let us know how you do. I check the hog forum out a good bit. Do you hunt in Florida?
Old 10-07-2015, 04:30 PM
Fork Horn

I am going on a hog hunt in Florida the last week of the month. Next year I plan on archery in the swannee for two weeks, this is All the vacation time I can take in one lump in the fall. I do a couple other Fl trips but only one during hunting season. Pulling a boat down on this trip so I will do some fishing in the spring.

Have some general maintenance to do on the house while I down so can't play all the time.

Defiantly like the bleached skulls, I want a couple of those for the walls. I can't wait to put some hog in the freezer. I keep hearing different things about the meat but I have heard a lot about venison, bear, moose, and caribou but I like all of them.... I think handling has a lot to do with it.
Old 10-11-2015, 11:50 PM
Typical Buck

I'm not really sure but I heard the same thing about the big boar hogs. The hog I got tasted just fine. We mainly make maple flavored sausage or ground pork and season it with different seasonings we buy from our local meat processor. The backstraps were a little tough but again tasted just fine! We have a nice 3/4 horse grinder and a mixer we got from Cabelas. Nothing like making it yourself and everyone asks where I take it to get the meat done. The faces I get when people eat the sausage. What I really enjoy are the cherry/apple flavor venison burger's we make! Mmmmmmm

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.