Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Why I hunt.

Old 09-29-2015, 06:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Sheridan

I started trapping muskrat and selling them to our local taxidermist to earn enough money to buy my first shotgun - H&R single shot 20 gauge.

You are also right about those times in our lives, as they still loom large in my memories.......
I overheard Dad and 2 brothers discussing a hunt. I caught them outside, later, as they were leaving. I wanted to go and dad realized that but I wasn't able at the time.

The following year dad started teaching me how to shoot, stressing safety, making it clear that not following proper advice wouldn't be tolerated and lead to loss of shooting privilege.

The first gun I fired was a single shot Revelation 20 ga. with a load of 1 oz. Federal #6. I still remember that experience well. I was 8 yrs. old at the time. The rest of that season I hunted squirrel under his watchful eye. I also went-unarmed- on deer hunts w/him and uncles.

I hunt for the challenge and because wild game is healthier than store bought meat. To be in tune w/nature. In the field I'm always scanning the area and listening. I like listening for all the sounds, trying to identify the animal that made it, and seeing if I can get a visual on it. Hunting provides a needed balance in this sometimes hectic world.

Dad is no longer around but I know he would be proud at my results.
At various times I've hunted family property, other private property and public lands. It's amazing how the properties cycle and access changes over the years. Much of those lands are developed now. I've hunted in small groups and alone. I've had hunting friends and family change and pass along the way.

Every year I look forward to "the hunt". The memories are priceless.

Last edited by Game Stalker; 10-19-2015 at 09:20 AM.
Old 10-21-2015, 05:36 PM
Spike

I started out sitting in the yard with a red Ryder at 20 yd shooting lizards and the occasional ground squirrel
Old 10-22-2015, 04:46 AM
Banned

why I hunt?

well besides the fact that I enjoy it, I am an ornery cuss and continue to hunt because I realize the anti-gunners would like nothing more then to see us all stop hunting.
Old 10-23-2015, 10:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

I enjoy hunting (and fishing). I've taught my wife and we're teaching our daughters. It's a big family activity. It's year 'round because we spend a lot of time in the woods scouting and just studying the natural world, learning about trees, fungi, wild berries, insects, and all the rest.
Old 10-24-2015, 05:34 PM
Fork Horn

AMC was showing Jeremiah Johnson one Saturday night. That movie inspired me to take up hunting.