Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

What kinda crop is this

Old 08-27-2015, 04:17 PM
Spike

Default What kinda crop is this

Anyone by chance tell me what kinda crop this is looks like corn pretty short for this time of the year.
Was alfalfa in spring

Last edited by stcspiderman; 08-27-2015 at 04:24 PM.
Old 08-27-2015, 04:20 PM
Giant Nontypical

Not unless you provide us a picture of what you want us to look at!
Old 08-27-2015, 05:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

It looks like the corn planter was planting to many corn kernels in each hole and therefore they stunted them. A friend planted some sorghum sudan grass this year, and that looks a lot like young corn also.
Old 08-27-2015, 06:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

Definitely corn, and gjersy looks spot on. I am by far no farmer but I seem to remember our corn plants being around 8 to 10 inches apart at the stalks. never seen 3 or 4 stalks popping up in the same spot. Only crops I deal with is winter wheat, rape, and clover and sometimes soybeans all for my food plots. Gotta keep my deer well fed! Fat and Sassy!
Old 08-27-2015, 06:23 PM
Giant Nontypical

It's looks like corn and the farmer may have done it on purpose in order to cut it for silage in a month or two before winter hits, as it certainly will not produce a corn crop.
Old 08-28-2015, 02:00 AM
Giant Nontypical

It's corn, looks like it was picked and the farmer didn't have his combine set properly so what you see is what went out the back and sprouted...

What is odd to me, is it seems to be early for them to be picking corn in Minnesota, unless maybe he cut it for silage then the timing is about right...

Was the field planted in corn in the spring??
Old 08-28-2015, 03:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

Looks like sorghum to me.
Old 08-28-2015, 03:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

Talking

OP said Hay still there in June. State is Minnesota I presume like the OPs location. Hay was taken off then a digger was used and corn planted with a drill rather than a corn planter Some times the sod will get in the drill drop tubes leaving spaces till the sod comes away then several seeds will drop in one place. The farmer will most likely chop it for ensilage just as soon as he can after the first frost.
Farmer has either dairy cattle or runs beef but my guess is dairy.

Al
Old 08-28-2015, 06:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

I am in with "Ooper". I ahve no idea how soon frost hits up that way, wbut if this stuiff was planted in June it is going to be a push to ear out.
Old 08-31-2015, 04:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Wingbone
Looks like sorghum to me.
I agree. Anytime I've seen a field late in the summer like this, its been sorghum. They look the same initially, hard to tell until the sorghum starts to mature.

I guess you will find out eventually

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.