Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Deer Jerky Recipes

Old 10-15-2003, 08:02 AM

Default Deer Jerky Recipes

Just wondering how you other hunters prepare your deer jerky, i.e. what part of the deer, what you use to marinade, what spices, sweet,spicy etc. my buddy shot a spike and were going to make some just wanted to get some idea' s
Old 10-15-2003, 08:17 AM

Default RE: Deer Jerky Recipes

Use any part of the deer, just watch the grissle, i order my spices out of cabelas or bass pro they are excellent and i have other homemade recipes
Liquid smoke
Dales season sauce
Worchershire sauce
season salt
crushed fresh black pepper
garlic powder
the only thing u can over use is liquid smoke use no more than 2 tablespoons
let sit over night flipping ever so ofter
amounts of the other spices i just guess
Old 10-25-2003, 09:52 PM

open up the spice cabinet and start dumpin, but make sure you keep tract of what you put in, thats where I screwed up and it took me pretty long to get it right again; but now i got it down to a science
Old 10-25-2003, 09:59 PM

PSE,

Deer steaks are usually better than the backstrap because the strips of meat are larger than the small chunks that you get with the backstrap. You need to cut it into stips about an inch wide, then filet the meat as thin as you can cut them (about 1/8 inch). If you thaw the meat about halfway, it makes the fileting much easier.

Marinade:

4 cut-up steaks for 12-24 hours in the following:
5 oz soy sauce
5 oz Worcesershire Sauce (however you spell that!)
3-4 oz Teryaki
a splash of liquid smoke
1 teaspoon of garlic powder
1 teaspoon of cayenne pepper

It' s a great recipe that I found online and I think it' s better than what you can buy at the grocery store. Enjoy...
Old 10-26-2003, 06:30 AM

i use a jerkygun and ground up deer. this is alot faster and it is not bad at all. it has a little different texture than regular jerky. there are several different packets of spices that u can buy at gander mountain or just add your own to the ground meat.
Old 10-26-2003, 10:21 AM

Do you all use the oven or a dehydrater?

Troy
Old 10-26-2003, 10:58 AM
Giant Nontypical

I use my electric smoker
Old 10-26-2003, 12:01 PM

I use a dehydrator. It' s a Ronco that I bought last year for about $60.
Old 10-26-2003, 03:01 PM

It all depends on what kind of jerky I make; If I make it out of ground meat I use the dehydrator, but if I make it from sliced meat I marinate it and use the oven, both ways are really good.
Old 10-26-2003, 08:22 PM
Fork Horn

A buddy of mine turned me on to a no-name jerky shooter kit from walmart. you find it by the blenders and toasters. it runs about $12 and comes with afew different blends ( regular, teriyaki, cajun, etc). i add crushed red pepper (the kind that you put on pizza) or coat with coarse black pepper. just mix the season packets with ground venison, shoot (like a caulking gun) onto your dehydrator. (also available for cheap at walmart)

Quick Reply: Deer Jerky Recipes

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.