Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

How's your offseason?

Old 07-31-2015, 07:34 AM
Super Moderator

I've been doing some catfishing and setting turtle lines. Here's a PA snapper.

-Jake
Attached Thumbnails How's your offseason?-11749725_10154070283099251_573210612_n.jpg  
Old 08-01-2015, 04:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

Talking

I love snapping turtle meat. That is a nice one.

Al
Old 08-02-2015, 04:14 AM
Fork Horn

It's been about a week since I mowed my clover plot, so I went to check it out. It's actually looking really good, despite the minimal attention it's gotten. I planted it last fall, but it was so late, I wasn't sure if it would survive winter, but it did - and how! I didn't have my atv sprayer dug out of the shed yet, so I just shaved the tops of the weeds with a 5' bush hog earlier this year. I just did it again, and I couldn't be happier with the results. Fortunately, most of the weeds are annuals, so they're not coming back nearly as strong as the clover. Now I just have to set up a couple cams to see if anyone is using it. Funny how a side project ends up turning into more work than you thought it would...
Old 08-02-2015, 09:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

If you have not fertilized in a while take some 0-20-20 in with you next time and give the clover a good feeding. About 200#/acre will do. And I'd dig out that sprayer and get that grass out of there, even if it is weak right now. As soon as it starts to cool off some and if you can get timely rainfall, that clover should jump!
Old 08-02-2015, 01:19 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Mojotex
If you have not fertilized in a while take some 0-20-20 in with you next time and give the clover a good feeding. About 200#/acre will do. And I'd dig out that sprayer and get that grass out of there, even if it is weak right now. As soon as it starts to cool off some and if you can get timely rainfall, that clover should jump!
I think my plan, at this point, is to pull some soil cores ASAP. Since its already looking pretty good, I might try to make it a long-term stand, so I gotta find out what's out there before I apply. There's a place close by that will run PH, P, and K tests for like $5/sample. I have some leftover Pell Lime, TSP, and potash from another project, so I can make a custom P&K blend as soon as I get soil test results back. As far as spraying goes, I'm gonna try to have my ATV sprayer set up and ready earlier next spring, so I can hit it when the first flush of annual grasses hits.

Like I said, its amazing how quickly a little side project (one that you never intended to put any effort into)can turn into a bunch of work...
Old 08-02-2015, 03:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

hunting a new piece of property this fall and haven't got over there yet. just too hot! cant believe archery opens in about 3 weeks.
went back to ny in early june to see mom and got in on some nice surfcasting action on some off the biggest bluefish ive seen in the surf!!
Old 08-03-2015, 02:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

Talking

Had 3 bucks in the front yard yesterday morning when I was walking up to get the freebie paper they pitch out every Saturday night. They were in the pines before I could see how big.

Al
Old 08-03-2015, 04:30 AM
Spike

Saturday I replaced a feeder timer, filled feeders,replaced all the batteries in my feeders and game cameras. It is hard to get into the deer hunting spirit when it is 101 outside!
Old 08-03-2015, 06:15 PM
Super Moderator

Pulled in a 23" Ohio carp tonight. I'm gonna be setting a trailcamera up here in Ohio tomorrow then back to PA for a few days.
-Jake
Old 08-03-2015, 06:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

Nice Carp bocajnala! I've been meaning to catch a couple out of the river to smoke.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.