Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Longleaf Pine Best For Southern Wildlife Habitat >

Longleaf Pine Best For Southern Wildlife Habitat

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Longleaf Pine Best For Southern Wildlife Habitat

Old 07-24-2015, 06:01 AM
Spike

Default Longleaf Pine Best For Southern Wildlife Habitat

Brandon Bobo, a senior wildlife biologist with the National Wild Turkey Federation (NWTF) explains the vital importance of longleaf pine stands to America's wildlife. Deer, turkeys, quail and a host of other species flourish in longleaf pine stands, which is why biologists and the NWTF are working to re-establish them the way Native Americans did centuries ago.
Old 07-24-2015, 06:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

Good video, left me with alot of questions, but I am not sure I particularly buy into what he was saying. This sounds like the same thing our timber companies and state biologists keep saying but I don't see much information on it in regards to studies being performed. The ones I do predominantly utilize global warming as an excuse because these trees are more adaptable. Maybe I am particularly biased on this subject as I have watched timber companies with the approval of the state to go in cut down acres of 200+ year old oak/elm and other hardwood trees and replant them with long-leaf pines in the name of restoration. Quail and turkeys love these trees, the quail for the underbrush that gives them cover and the turkeys like the tops but deer in these woods don't particularly care for the openness.
Old 07-24-2015, 06:43 AM
Boone & Crockett

I have hunted in GA and still hunt in SC. I hunt in areas with vast longleaf plantations. Longleaf and wiregrass is classic Bobwhite habitat. When they burn the plantations for the benefit of the trees there is dense smoke for miles, for days. One thing I discovered about longleaf pine is: I had no allergies to my knowledge, however, in the spring when they are shedding pollen you can see it blowing accross the fields like a huge yellow cloud, each morning vehicles are yellow, no matter what color they are and the minute I walk out when there is pine pollen in the air my eyes burn and water like crazy and my nose starts to run.
Old 07-24-2015, 11:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

Yeah the burns can be rediculous at times but they do do great for areas. Unfortunately a lot of the good underbrush gets burned out as well, but things come in a little thicker the following year. For the pollen used to have pics of the clouds of pollen blowing from the trees to across the road.
Old 07-24-2015, 12:22 PM
Boone & Crockett

I makes some darn good fat wood for kindling.