Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Best rifled slugs for Deer hunting >

Best rifled slugs for Deer hunting

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Best rifled slugs for Deer hunting

Old 10-08-2015, 12:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by uncle matt
How did the old cowboys keep the barrels of their rifles from getting fouled? All they had to shoot were cast lead bullets and didn't have any Nitro solvent.
I'm sure they did get fouled but Were the barrels and slugs both rifled?

Like I said rifled slugs are designed to give....that is why they are rifled. The rifling helps them squeeze though a smooth bore barrel. The rifling acts to make them more universal and fit through multiple chokes etc. When you shoot one through rifling it is going to leave lead behind..

Even the old cowboys used smooth projectiles in rifled barrels as far as I know or even smooth projectile through smooth barrels as rifles don't have chokes there was no need to put fins on the projectile to make it squeeze through multiple chokes.

Brenneke slugs fly better because they have better weight distribution. Rifled slugs get their flight from their weight forward design not the rifling and Brenneke takes that weight distribution to a level above most other rifled slugs.

The bottom line is the rifled slugs will work through rifled or smooth bore barrels although they will likely lead foul a rifled barrel and likely not shoot any better than they would in the much cheaper smooth bore barrel they were designed for.

A Sabot shot through a smooth bore will be terrible and a sabot shot through a rifled barrel will out perform the rifled slugs in either barrel.

Last edited by rockport; 10-08-2015 at 01:42 PM.
Old 10-08-2015, 04:25 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by rockport

The bottom line is the rifled slugs will work through rifled or smooth bore barrels although they will likely lead foul a rifled barrel and likely not shoot any better than they would in the much cheaper smooth bore barrel they were designed for.

A Sabot shot through a smooth bore will be terrible and a sabot shot through a rifled barrel will out perform the rifled slugs in either barrel.
Couldn't agree more or have stated it better.
Old 10-08-2015, 08:56 PM
Giant Nontypical

I think I'm biased due to my personal experiences with all of my H&R USHs. I bought the first in 1995(?) and shot Remington Copper Solids. It took a lot of slugs to get it dialed in. It would shoot pretty well but getting a big ragged hole from 5 at 100 - 150 just never happened. They killed deer real fine cuz they hit the vital area.

I tried some Brenneke Gold Magnums and my groups were outstanding. Ragged holes became reality. Putting deer down with these was awesome. They hit really hard and I could really deliver a shot where I wanted to. I never went back and my old barrel looks like new. There is no fouling in there and I have never had struggle to clean it or use any special solvents to release lead.

Over the years I have bought 3 more H&R USHs giving me 2 12 gauges and 2 20 gauges. They are all shooting Brenneke and shooting fantastic. In 2007 H&R went to the Ultragon rifling which doesn't have the sharp edges on the rifling and there are 6 lands/grooves and a 1:23" twist. They clean right up too.

Anyhoo. Bottom line is finding whatever each gun fires the most accurately and stick with it. I get a real snicker when guys want to switch to "that new slug" every year or 2(usually a sabot). Advertised as faster......more accurate......more powerful......more knockdown......more money and they usually get all frustrated with worse results from their previous choice.
Old 10-09-2015, 05:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

I think I'm biased due to my personal experiences with all of my H&R USHs. I bought the first in 1995(?) and shot Remington Copper Solids. It took a lot of slugs to get it dialed in. It would shoot pretty well but getting a big ragged hole from 5 at 100 - 150 just never happened. They killed deer real fine cuz they hit the vital area.

I tried some Brenneke Gold Magnums and my groups were outstanding. Ragged holes became reality. Putting deer down with these was awesome. They hit really hard and I could really deliver a shot where I wanted to. I never went back and my old barrel looks like new. There is no fouling in there and I have never had struggle to clean it or use any special solvents to release lead.

Over the years I have bought 3 more H&R USHs giving me 2 12 gauges and 2 20 gauges. They are all shooting Brenneke and shooting fantastic. In 2007 H&R went to the Ultragon rifling which doesn't have the sharp edges on the rifling and there are 6 lands/grooves and a 1:23" twist. They clean right up too.

Anyhoo. Bottom line is finding whatever each gun fires the most accurately and stick with it. I get a real snicker when guys want to switch to "that new slug" every year or 2(usually a sabot). Advertised as faster......more accurate......more powerful......more knockdown......more money and they usually get all frustrated with worse results from their previous choice.
Are you telling me you bought 4 slug guns and all 4 shoot sub MOA with rifled slugs?
Old 10-14-2015, 07:28 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by rockport
Are you telling me you bought 4 slug guns and all 4 shoot sub MOA with rifled slugs?
Not exactly sure what MOA or sub MOA means. I think it means all right in the same hole light Robin Hooding an arrow. That's not what I'm saying. I'm saying they all hit close enough to each other to make a hole similar to this first picture. Doesn't happen every single time. Some days you shoot worse or better than others but those are the results the guns are giving. This is mot my picture just one grabbed off internet for an example. And yes sometimes they don't all connect and look like the second picture. Again this is pulled from internet. Pay no attention to whatever is printed on it. The guns are all very capable of absolutely fantastic groups with Brenneke slugs, it is just up to the shooter.

Listen. I don't know what your deal is but I posted here with the intention of offering what I feel is a superb slug, safe for rifled barrels (per info of unquestionably highly experienced and knowledgeable manufacturer) that are more reasonably priced than sabots and offer a gigantic whallop.

People can take what I offered and check it out for themselves if they would like if they feel it is something they might benefit from.

I'm not going to be part of a presidential debate about this with you. I'm not leaving this thread mad, I'm just leaving it. I'll gladly discuss other subjects or topics.

Good hunting.

Last edited by uncle matt; 10-14-2015 at 07:36 AM.
Old 10-14-2015, 07:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

Not exactly sure what MOA or sub MOA means. I think it means all right in the same hole light Robin Hooding an arrow. That's not what I'm saying. I'm saying they all hit close enough to each other to make a hole similar to this first picture. Doesn't happen every single time. Some days you shoot worse or better than others but those are the results the guns are giving. This is mot my picture just one grabbed off internet for an example. And yes sometimes they don't all connect and look like the second picture. Again this is pulled from internet. Pay no attention to whatever is printed on it. The guns are all very capable of absolutely fantastic groups with Brenneke slugs, it is just up to the shooter.

Listen. I don't know what your deal is but I posted here with the intention of offering what I feel is a superb slug, safe for rifled barrels (per info of unquestionably highly experienced and knowledgeable manufacturer) that are more reasonably priced than sabots and offer a gigantic whallop.

People can take what I offered and check it out for themselves if they would like if they feel it is something they might benefit from.

I'm not going to be part of a presidential debate about this with you. I'm not leaving this thread mad, I'm just leaving it. I'll gladly discuss other subjects or topics.

Good hunting.

I don't have a "deal" I don't know why you would leave this thread mad or at all. I just ask a question to make sure we are on the same page here.

Sub MOA means 3 shot groups fall within an inch at 100 yards.

The bottom picture is more what I would expect from rifled slugs 2.5 inches at 50 yards although better results are very possible at that range.

Buying 4 guns and all four shooting sub moa with rifled slugs would amaze me as I'm not sure Ive ever seen a single slug gun do that.
Old 10-17-2015, 01:46 PM
Spike

ive always heard people rave about challenger slugs. But as with any gun, you have to try and see which your gun prefers most: how they pattern as well as feed