Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Advice on new property

Old 06-04-2015, 03:48 PM
Spike

Did not know that.

So its at least either a buck or a very mature doe? Either way, that works for me lol.

Like I said, there are about 10-12 different places with big solid buck like turds. All from the last 2 maybe 3 days.

I'm guessing multiple deer?
Old 06-04-2015, 03:50 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by super_hunt54
Yep. I've seen big ole doe droppings that would shame a buck. You get an older doe that's been feeding heavy and I can tell you there is no difference at all between them and a big buck.

Jasper, it sounds lie you have a nice little piece of property to crack some deer on. Just don't over do the changes too much. While deer aren't that skiddish to SOME changes, if you do too much at once you will chase them away from the property.
Yeah, I have been a little hesitant to do to much this first year.

Re-claiming the fields was a project all in its self. Now keeping it mowed is just as challenging lol.

I'm going to make 1 maybe 2 small shooter plots up in the woods, and that is about it for this year.

Next year, I plan to make one of the 2 plots much bigger, and plant some fruit producing trees.

The property is currently loaded with mast producing trees. I just need a little more diversity when it comes to food choices on the property.
Old 06-04-2015, 04:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

Bud, if you have white oak on that property, you have a gold mine! White Oak acorns are like chocolate for deer! They love them. When it's time for mast fall, put yourself between bedding areas, water and those white oaks and I'd bet you will smack deer.
Old 06-04-2015, 04:18 PM
Spike

I have lots of white oak, a few black oak, walnut, beech trees, papaws, hickory etc.
Old 06-04-2015, 04:28 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Oldtimr
Deer are moving towards the direction of the open part of the V. Just look at a deers hoof, that will tell you which way the tracks are moving. You can't always tell a bck from a doe by the droppings regardless of what people tell you.
I hope you really didn't mean what you posted in that bolded sentence since it's just the opposite! All the tracks in this attached photo are ones that are going up in the direction they are traveling. Although the picture shows the dew claws in all the tracks, normally you won't see them until a deer, usually a buck, gets enough weight on him to leave them in the ground as puncture marks behind the splayed track. Smaller deer of both sexes will show as just a ^ of various sizes in the direction they are going.

Last edited by Topgun 3006; 06-09-2015 at 07:27 PM.
Old 06-04-2015, 04:46 PM
Boone & Crockett

No, not the way it came out, what I was wanting to say was the deer is heading in the direction of the the narrow end of the hoof, like an upside down V that is split in the middle and open at the front , heart shaped with the pointy end of the heart forward.
Old 06-04-2015, 04:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Oldtimr
No, not the way it came out, what I was wanting to say was the deer is heading in the direction of the the narrow end of the hoof, like an upside down V that is split in the middle and open at the front , heart shaped with the pointy end of the heart forward.
Unless they're running.

Old 06-04-2015, 04:54 PM
Boone & Crockett

Yeak Mickey, what I was eluding to is the front of the track splaying out, assuming a hunter knows the shape of the track. Just came out unclear. One of those things where you know what you mean but is comes out different.

Last edited by Oldtimr; 06-04-2015 at 04:56 PM.
Old 06-04-2015, 04:57 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Mickey Finn
Unless they're running.

Actually your picture is the better way to show a big deer track and he doesn't have to be running to make that splayed track. I thought that I knew and understood what Oldtimr was trying to say since the front of a good sized deer is actually open like the picture Mickey Finn posted, rather than in the multi track picture I posted. I just wanted to make sure it was clear to the OP and any other newbie to the sport!

Last edited by Topgun 3006; 06-04-2015 at 05:05 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 06-04-2015, 05:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

Yeah Top, that display you put up is actually a rare occasion. I've not seen many tracks in my day where the toes are closed up like that. They usually have at least somewhat of a "splay". Unless they are "standing" tracks.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.