Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Where do you buy your gear?

Old 05-20-2015, 08:13 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by mniemela
Hey I'm doing a little research for a project, and have a couple of questions for you.

Where do you buy most of your hunting gear/equipment? Online or in a store? Why? What's your least favorite part of the process?
I have a couple of questions for you:

1) What kind of research?

2) What is the project?

3) Where do you get your hunting gear/equipment?

4) Do you even hunt or fish?

5) What are you going to do with the info/data after the "research" is complete?

6) Who are you working for?

7) Why should I bother giving you any info if you don't have the courtesy to give me some about you?

Bye-Bye
Old 05-20-2015, 09:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

I find that stores usually have way to much of what I don't want/like and not enough of what I do like/want.

I suspect this to be the case with most serious experienced outdoorsman.

I don't really require that much equipment but when I do I for the most part know exactly what I want and they usually don't have it.

I order it online.

Least favorite part: Sifting through a bunch of gimmicky junk only to find out they don't have what I want.

There are some exceptions that the stores carry and I will just go get.

One example this time of year is crappie jigs. I don't want to buy packages of 5 with the wrong sized hooks and packages of 5 tubes.

I want 100 unpainted jigs with the right sized hooks......not 5 with the wrong hooks.
Old 05-22-2015, 07:17 AM
RWK
Nontypical Buck

Look at North Woods Outdoors
Old 05-25-2015, 05:26 AM
MZS
Typical Buck

Unlike other areas, where I either buy online at Amazon or local store, I shop at a variety of places for hunting gear. I will buy on Amazon if I can get it cheap and of the same quality. I bought a game cam at Dick's sport shop. I bought a used cross bow from a neighbor. I bought another bow from Gander Mtn. And still another bow for my son at a pro shop that did setup and had a shooting range. I might buy something at Walmart if I know the brand is good, but generally their stuff (like arrows and broadheads) is often cheap junk, but they do carry some better brands. For arrows I stop at a local sports shop and he has the good ones. If I were buying a new compound, I would go with HuntersFriend.com as many here have recommended it. So in short, I get the gear anywhere and everywhere.

My least favorite part is missing a deer because of some cheap arrow/broadhead I made the mistake of buying! I guess another negative is getting bombarded with SO MANY products that, according to the "experts", I must have! For this reason, I almost don't like going to Gander Mtn to shop for gear.

Last edited by MZS; 05-25-2015 at 05:31 AM.
Old 07-29-2015, 04:57 AM
Spike

sportsmens guide warehouse has two hang on stands and 20ft of climbing sticks for 100 bucks, cant beat that for hanging double sets.
Old 07-29-2015, 07:01 AM
Fork Horn

Sportsman Guide always has a deal somewhere. Just have to be looking at the right time!
Old 08-04-2015, 07:18 AM
Spike

Default Gear Buying

I get most of my stuff from either Cabela's online or from the local Dick's Sporting Goods. Dick's is the most convenient because it's only 20 minutes from my house. The problem with them is their hunting inventory usually stinks and the employees have no technical knowledge. Cabela's only draw back is the shipping costs. It's about 45 minutes but I usually save the driving and gas and buy online.
Old 08-04-2015, 08:11 AM
Boone & Crockett

Anything but footwear and firarms which I go to a brick and mortar store I usually get from Cabelas, Sportsmans Guide, Ammo from Graff and Sons. Dicks sporting stores around here are ok I guess if you ant basket balls soccer ball baseballs etc. Other wise they don't have crap and their staff is hunting, gun and fishing stupid.
Old 08-07-2015, 07:15 PM
Fork Horn

I buy from Cabelas, Wing Supply and some other on-line places on occasion. Like others, I have to try on footwear and prefer to check the clothing out in person whenever possible.
We don't have much selection of sporting goods in my small city so I buy more on-line than in the store.
Old 08-22-2015, 04:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

Since I'm from Vermont, I prefer maple syrup to honey on pancakes or waffles.

I prefer to buy online because I can usually do a lot of research and find the lowest possible price. I mostly buy from Cabelas but my loyalty is to who can offer me the lowest price with free shipping.

I don't like when I need to return an item.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.