Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Turnips in food plot

Old 05-14-2015, 08:20 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default Turnips in food plot

How does anyone feel about turnips in food plots?

We got some nice plots in on our 20 acre bowhunt spot here near the house. We used throw-n-grow as we have in the past here and added a good amount of turnip.

We have what I guess a half acre or larger plot along with six 50 foot diameter plots spread about.

So what do u think about turnips? I know they will mature in 60 days but we'll overlap seed again a few times up until winter. We also did chicory.
Old 05-15-2015, 06:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

I hunt in SE Alabama. We have over 35 food plots ranging from about 1/2 acre to 2 1/2 acres. We plant our fall/winter food plots in mid to late September. We plant a typical "tri-mix" of wheat, forage oats and grain rye. We incoporate purple top turnips, planting is about 50 pounds of seed across 35 +/- acres of food plot area.

The deer seem to stick with the tri-mix , and more or less lay off the turnips until the turnip leaves become rather large and the roots about 1"-2" in diameter. Once the first frost hits and the roots "sweeten up", the deer start hammering the turnips. Not much above the ground is left come about January 15 or so.

One thing I really like about planting turnips .... I can cook a pot full for supper and have done so many, many times.
Old 05-15-2015, 06:37 AM
Boone & Crockett

Yeah, I know a couple of guys who plant the turnips in their food plots for winter feed for deer. As long as the snow isn't too deep they will dig them out to eat.
Old 05-15-2015, 05:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

Hey Uncle matt, plant them early the deer will pull them out by the young tender roots and eat them. then plant more for winter. Deer love turnips in WI but you don't post your location? So kind of stabbing in the dark here?

Last edited by gjersy; 05-15-2015 at 05:42 PM.
Old 05-16-2015, 06:17 AM
Nontypical Buck

We always add turnips to several of our food plots,I have also added some Raddishes,Sugar Beets and Brassicas to the larger Plots and I just planted a Turnip/Raddish mixture plot a few weeks ago.Last year in the early Spring I did the same thing in a Food Plot in a bottom field and after it peaked and started blooming and going to seed in July the BIL mowed it down then ran a disc across it with the intent of planting something in the next few weeks...the turnip seeds Re-Sprouted and turned into a beautiful thick food plot that was perfect for the start of the Sept Bow Season!
Old 05-20-2015, 08:53 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by gjersy
Hey Uncle matt, plant them early the deer will pull them out by the young tender roots and eat them. then plant more for winter. Deer love turnips in WI but you don't post your location? So kind of stabbing in the dark here?
Hmmm. My location isn't shown? I'll fix that.

But I'm northeast IL, 25-30 miles SW of Chicago.

We have the turnips in last week and will reseed early July and then prob September.

Thanks guys
Old 05-20-2015, 12:23 PM
Spike

I also use throw and grow in some of my plots, I also add turnips to those plots with good success. Acorn mast was abundant and heavy this past year and i discovered while turkey hunting that the turnips and sugar beets were still in the dirt. I assume that with the heavy acorn abundance they didnt want them this year. ??