Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Any tips on a tree stand selection >

Any tips on a tree stand selection

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Any tips on a tree stand selection

Old 04-27-2015, 07:48 AM
Spike

Default Any tips on a tree stand selection

Hey everyone, I'm in the market for a new climbing stand, I recently got permission to hunt on some land near my house and I need a climber, so what are y'all's recommendation of a tree stand, should I just go to cabelas and get one there, should I pick one up on amazon?

Thanks for the help!!!!
Old 04-27-2015, 09:43 AM
Super Moderator

My first climbing stand I bought at maybe 14 or 15. I went cheap, because that's what I had in my wallet. It was heavy, noisy, uncomfortable.. And I killed deer out of it about every year. Then I went with a summit climber( lots of model to pick from) and love it. It packs in and out easily. It's comfortable. By the best that's in your budget. The longer you can stay in the woods, the better your chances will be. And a comfortable stand can be a big help.
-Jake
Old 04-27-2015, 11:22 AM
Boone & Crockett

I would recommend you go to a sporting goods store and actually have a stand in hand before you buy one. Then if you like it, and it is cheaper from Amazon even with shipping go for Amazon. As for me, I have been disappointed once too many times to buy sight unseen except for a picture.
Old 04-27-2015, 12:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Oldtimr
I would recommend you go to a sporting goods store and actually have a stand in hand before you buy one. Then if you like it, and it is cheaper from Amazon even with shipping go for Amazon. As for me, I have been disappointed once too many times to buy sight unseen except for a picture.
100% agree. Most all the sporting goods stores that carry climbers will have display models. Have a look, feel their weight for packing, try sitting in one if they have it out where you can. Most climbers nowadays are fairly comfortable for your average size people. I'm a fairly large man at over 6 feet and a little over 240 and find my Summit Cobra great for Bow hunting. Weight limit is 300 and it's around 18 pounds. I have a couple of older climbers from Summit that are rated at 350 but they are a good deal heavier at around 25 or so.

You didn't specify what type of hunting you were going to do out of it. You want an open front style for bow hunting. A lot of climbers today have a rail in the front for both shooting and using it as a sit bar to climb. It's still usable for bow but it hinders your shooting angles. Especially with a longer axle to axle bow or traditional.

Last edited by super_hunt54; 04-27-2015 at 12:16 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 04-28-2015, 06:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

Look at all the Summit Stands.....buy the one You like that's Aluminum,it will be lighter and much easier to carry!You'll Thank Me later! ;0)
Old 04-28-2015, 10:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

I agree that taking a good look at a variety of climbers is a good idea. I have used several brands of climbers over the past 30-35 years. I sarted with the original "Baker" .... man what changes have come along !

I personally recommend the Summit Viper and Ol' Man Vision. These are both about 17#, easy to set up, sturdy, quiet and comfortable. The Ol' Man's mesh seat allows me to stand and slide back against the tree almost silent. But I find it not as comfortable as the Summit's padded "sling seat". I am 66 years of age, about 6'1" and pushing 275# ... I need simple, appreciate a stand being comfortable and depend upon sturdy !!

The 2 Summits and 2 Ol' Mans that I have are rated 300# ... and frankly appear to be over engineered as far as strength. I hunt with guys that use other brands and like them. I like these.

As always, if you do not already use one, get a quality fall restraint system too. And use it. You life may depend upon it.

Last edited by Mojotex; 04-30-2015 at 02:08 PM.
Old 04-28-2015, 12:39 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by GTOHunter
Look at all the Summit Stands.....buy the one You like that's Aluminum,it will be lighter and much easier to carry!You'll Thank Me later! ;0)
+1. I've used several, and I have to say I have used a Summit climber for the past 15 or so years exclusively.
Old 04-28-2015, 02:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Tree stands aren't alike

How much do you weigh? Not everyone needs a 300 or 350 lb. weight limit.
Modern climbing tree stands should weigh less than 21 lbs and should be aluminum.
Do some pre-season hiking and weight training, especially if you don't leave the stand behind over night. How long do you intend to use it? Leaving it out shortens the stand's useful life.

Match the tree stand to your width, not a buddy's.
Old 04-28-2015, 02:18 PM
Spike

summit all the way I have been using climbers for 30 years and purchased my first summit about 5 years ago and has been the best climber I ever used and like the other poster said the aluminum ones are very light
Old 04-29-2015, 07:39 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by quebechunter
summit all the way I have been using climbers for 30 years and purchased my first summit about 5 years ago and has been the best climber I ever used and like the other poster said the aluminum ones are very light
I weigh about 250

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.