Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

What are your plans

Old 04-20-2015, 02:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default What are your plans

Well folks, our beloved "Big Game" seasons are done for the year. Other than those of us that go after wild hogs throughout the year, what are your plans for the off season to prepare you for next seasons adventures? Archers, are you going to practice and refine your skills in the off season by way of 3D shoots and lots of range time? I would hope so! Rifle men, are you planning to hit the reloading benches for load development to tweek out that extra fraction of an inch in grouping? Look for that perfect combination of cartridge build that your rifle likes to eat? Sounds like a plan to me! Are you going to hit the ranges as well and practice off hand and field shooting positions like those you will have during the hunt? I would surely hope so! Lets not forget our beloved Muzzle Loaders! Are you guys going to hit the ranges to find that perfect load that combines both accuracy as well as reliability? Are we going to practice reloading for that follow up shot in case you goofed? Mistakes and misses happen, it's a part of life!

Are we going to go out and keep an eye on our deer herds? See how well they fared through the winter? Especially in those states that had an exceptionally tough winter. Take a look and see how well the fawning is going? See all the little scampers running around with their moms is actually fun to watch. Tons more entertaining than sitting around on the couch getting fat watching TV!

Lets post up your plans for the off season for scouting and such! Sharing ideas is what this site is all about! Maybe someone will have an off season idea none of us ever thought about doing! Let our young hunters know what they are missing in the off season!
Old 04-24-2015, 09:45 AM
Super Moderator

Damage permits, Trout, Turkeys, Rattle Snakes and Snapping Turtles, More damage permits, Squirrel, Deer season Again. That about sums up my offseason I do my best to never have an "off season"!
-Jake
Old 04-25-2015, 02:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

Food Plots,Mineral Licks,more Coyote Hunting....get the new Rifles sighted in,hang stands put out Fall Food Plots and practice with the Compound Bow before Archery Season!
Old 04-25-2015, 02:33 PM
Fork Horn

I go after wild pigs all year long. Am still trying to get away from the office sometime before the 6/30/2015 expiration date of my license and tag a nice porker.

We got some recent rains this weekend and that should bring out the piggies and make them easier to track and spot.
Old 04-25-2015, 02:37 PM
Boone & Crockett

You have to tag wild hogs?? Pretty strange for an animal no one wants.
Old 04-25-2015, 03:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Oldtimr
You have to tag wild hogs?? Pretty strange for an animal no one wants.
Fairly sure he meant "tag" as in nail one Oldtimer. Most states still require you to have a valid hunting license even to hunt hogs. Not a big game tag or anything like that, just a regular hunt/fish license.

Good job GTO!! Nice to see someone still thinks about PRACTICE! Most don't realize that about 75-80% of archery is muscle memory and that sort of memory gets pretty dang forgetful quick!

hks95134, Why not just go ahead and get 2015/16 license? That way you aren't rushed! Stay after them hogs! As the Marines so often say, "Killum all, let God sortum out"
Old 04-25-2015, 06:29 PM
Fork Horn

In California The Land Of Eternal Summers, we DO need tags for them, yes.

Mo money for the state gov'ment.
Old 04-26-2015, 12:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

Ahh didn't know you were in Cali. Gov. hands are always out!
Old 04-26-2015, 05:35 AM
Banned

I am going to work and earn some coin ,so that I can afford to play come hunting season
Old 04-26-2015, 06:48 AM
Giant Nontypical

Going to work around the house, tend the garden, take some time off in the summer to go to CO and work on my place there. When the season opens in CO I'll go to an old family friend's ranch and shoot either a doe mulie or a doe whitetail in the canyons along the sand hills. I can take either species on the license I expect to draw since it is a private land tag. Last year it took me all of 22 minutes to fill the tag.

Then I'll return to TX and shoot a couple of hogs for sausage and roasts.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.