Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Indiana rifle calibers

Old 04-17-2015, 04:12 AM
Banned

I just got a tip that Indiana has approved the use of Center-fire Rifle in a much broader range of cartridges by removing the maximum length rule. Basically anything from 243 WIN to 45-70 will be legal.The change is for next deer season (2015).
Old 04-17-2015, 10:16 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by PatriciaSTown
I just got a tip that Indiana has approved the use of Center-fire Rifle in a much broader range of cartridges by removing the maximum length rule. Basically anything from 243 WIN to 45-70 will be legal.The change is for next deer season (2015).
Please read post #2 because it's still in the proposal stage and it hasn't been approved yet and won't be until the Commission meeting late in May.
Old 04-18-2015, 03:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

Talking

While Flags suggestion to get a contender is sound make sure and Read the laws for hunting with a hand gun in your state. There are some states where a hand gun cartridge has to have a straight wall no bottle neck rounds allowed.

Al
Old 04-18-2015, 08:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by flags
Handguns firing rifle calibers have been legal for years. If I lived in IN I'd get a T/C Contender or Encore and a barrel for something along the lines of a 7mm-08 and go forth to slay whitetails. Such a rig is accurate to over 200 yards and will cleanly take any deer alive and you don't have to wait for the law to change.
My thoughts exactly. Though I bought my 7mm-08 in a Savage, easily a 300 yard gun with the factory ammo I bought. I can't wait to see what reloading can do with this cartridge.

I have killed coyote with it back in Febuary. I target shoot on the properties I hunt. I do not see a problem using it for deer hunting.
Old 04-18-2015, 08:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Topgun 3006
Please read post #2 because it's still in the proposal stage and it hasn't been approved yet and won't be until the Commission meeting late in May.
I am subscribed to e-mail notification from Indiana DNR when a decision is made. I will post as soon as I know anything.