Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Deer Hunting Basics

Old 04-09-2015, 10:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by rockport
If you are really looking to make something out of hunting videos you are getting some of the worst advice I have ever seen.

I know quite a few people that hunt for a living. Some videoing and some hunting. One thing they have in common is none of them waited until they had been hunting for 40 years and were 50 years old and knew everything to start.

One guy in particular grew up about a mile up the road from me, now he is about 30 and 2 weeks ago was filming and hunting stag in the mountains of New Zealand for Scent Blocker. If he took the advice you are being given he would be working in a factory saving up for his first trip to africa.
No one yet has said he needs to wait till he has 40 years experience under his belt. All of us has said he should LEARN and have CORRECT information as well as a little better videography. Plain and simple.

Uncle Matt, He was NOT "asking" a dang thing other than for us to watch his "informative" video. And when someone comes onto a site such as this, a trading of information and learning site, how could our experience NOT mean a thing? I think you Matt should go back to the very first page of this posting and have another look at what the young man was saying before you jump down mine and others throats. If he was asking anything other than for us to click on his video I sure can't see it.
Old 04-09-2015, 11:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by super_hunt54
No one yet has said he needs to wait till he has 40 years experience under his belt. All of us has said he should LEARN and have CORRECT information as well as a little better videography. Plain and simple.

Uncle Matt, He was NOT "asking" a dang thing other than for us to watch his "informative" video. And when someone comes onto a site such as this, a trading of information and learning site, how could our experience NOT mean a thing? I think you Matt should go back to the very first page of this posting and have another look at what the young man was saying before you jump down mine and others throats. If he was asking anything other than for us to click on his video I sure can't see it.

IF "he should LEARN and have CORRECT information as well as a little better videography" was really all that was said I would not have even made my comment but that is not all that was said AT ALL.

Uncle Matt is dead on IMO.

Last edited by rockport; 04-09-2015 at 11:13 AM.
Old 04-09-2015, 11:12 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by flags
Well, I watched the vid. I saw absolutely nothing that I'd call hunting basics. Nothing about tracking, stalking, bullet placement, blood trailing, field dressing, meat packing, trophy care, map reading, compass skills, fire making, wilderness shelters etc...

The only thing you showed that I'd even bother packing is a flashlight and the one you showed is little more than garbage. You want a good flashlight for hunting get a Surefire with the red lens attachment. Are you really trying to say a box cutter is a good type of knife for hunting? You then show broadheads and a trailcam that are still in the package which means you haven't used them. How do you know what will work if it is still in the package. I'd rather see a bunch of well used and well cared for equipment that has been field tested than something still in the package. Why do I need an SD card? I don't think it is possible to kill a deer with one, I can't eat it, I can't start a fire with it, I can't signal for help with it so why would I consider it a basic for hunting?

For what it is worth, I shot my first deer at age 9 in 1972. I've taken over 100 deer and 67 other species of game. I've hunted about 13 states, 2 Canadian Provinces and have made it to Africa 5 times. I'm pretty sure you can't teach me anything about "hunting basics" at this stage of the game. Come back and talk to me in 15 or 20 years.
Perhaps he could teach you humility?
Old 04-09-2015, 11:19 AM
Giant Nontypical

+1 super hunt54 ---You might as well sign off this thread because all we are doing is talking to the wall! When the kid makes a video like the one he did on the archery forum and tries to tell everyone how great a broadhead is that he's trying to sell, and then turns right around and says he hasn't even had it out of the package to test it, we're fight a losing battle. Then he started getting testy when corrected on some things he stated, but the real winner in that thread was when he then told you, a seasoned veteran, to adjust your aim or quit hunting because you shouldn't be aiming for the ribs/shoulder area to put an arrow in the vitals, LOL! From here on if he posts anything more, IMHO he's going to have a lot of people hitting the ignore button! Here's his gem from that thread:
"I believe that is where you have to hit a deer and if you are hitting a deer in the ribs you need to readjust your bow sight or stop hunting. The broadhead is not designed to go through a rib or shoulder bone... Although I have seen it break it and go through it but back to my point you shouldn't be hitting a deer in the rib because just like you are saying the blade has a better chance of coming off and there will most likely be no blood trail."

Last edited by Topgun 3006; 04-09-2015 at 12:13 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 04-09-2015, 01:36 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by choctawbadge
Perhaps he could teach you humility?
Wow. A whole 8 posts in 10 years! I have no reason to show any particular respect to a youngster that posts the following to another member:

posted by Outdoor Lifestyle 04/04/2015 09:06pm

acting like a adult unlike super_hunt54 who sounds like an 11 year old girl himself (if he even is a guy)
I'm really concerned about what you think.

Last edited by flags; 04-09-2015 at 01:59 PM.
Old 04-09-2015, 03:56 PM
Spike

If flags and superhunt54 can just do me a favor and ignore me it would be greatly appreciated. No disrespect or anything but I don't care about your opinions anymore or your comments so please ignore me and carry on, it would make my day. I know you both are going to comment and rip me again because that's all you do so please go ahead and then just hit the ignore button. Thank you
Old 04-09-2015, 04:56 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by outdoor lifestyle
If flags and superhunt54 can just do me a favor and ignore me it would be greatly appreciated. No disrespect or anything but I don't care about your opinions anymore or your comments so please ignore me and carry on, it would make my day. I know you both are going to comment and rip me again because that's all you do so please go ahead and then just hit the ignore button. Thank you
With that post it's obvious that you are not listening to a dang thing that almost everyone else has also stated on this, as well as your other bungled broadhead thread! You are just starting out and to try and make videos at this stage in your life with a little webcam telling others that have grandkids older than you are and that have been hunting many decades how to do things when you don't even know that a deer's vitals are behind the ribs is an affront to most all of us that have been hunting for years, some as long as 3 times or more than your age! It appeared you began with a polite attitude and wanted to learn, but your nasty little comeback that Flags mentioned and now this post where you are obviously not up to taking criticism does not bode well for you. If you continue to make videos like these first two you posted on this site, you better be prepared for a lot more criticism because that is the only way you'll learn that you have a long way to go before you should be instructing anyone on anything. Now I guess you can come back and tell me to also put you on ignore. Oops, I see you just did that over on the other thread, LOL!

Last edited by Topgun 3006; 04-09-2015 at 05:32 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 04-09-2015, 05:35 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by Topgun 3006
With that post it's obvious that you are not listening to a dang thing that almost everyone else has also stated on this, as well as your other bungled broadhead thread! You are just starting out and to try and make videos at this stage in your life with a little webcam telling others that have grandkids older than you are and that have been hunting many decades how to do things when you don't even know that a deer's vitals are behind the ribs is an affront to most all of us that have been hunting for years, some as long as 3 times or more than your age! It appeared you began with a polite attitude and wanted to learn, but your nasty little comeback that Flags mentioned and now this post where you are obviously not up to taking criticism does not bode well for you. If you continue to make videos like these first two you posted on this site, you better be prepared for a lot more criticism because that is the only way you'll learn that you have a long way to go before you should be instructing anyone on anything. Now I guess you can come back and tell me to also put you on ignore. Oops, I see you just did that over on the other thread, LOL!
If you look at my previous posts I accept my mistakes and explain how I will use them to improve. Please if you don't believe me take a look for yourself. I would appreciate it if you hit ignore like you said you would do. Now you are saying you won't hit it so please make up you mind. I don't need your criticism and help because all you are giving me is useless information and jumping down my throat for no reason. I accepted my mistakes and will work at them as I said but you continue to come at me so I'm personally telling you to ignore me and hit the ignore button.
Old 04-09-2015, 05:52 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by outdoor lifestyle
If you look at my previous posts I accept my mistakes and explain how I will use them to improve. Please if you don't believe me take a look for yourself. I would appreciate it if you hit ignore like you said you would do. Now you are saying you won't hit it so please make up you mind. I don't need your criticism and help because all you are giving me is useless information and jumping down my throat for no reason. I accepted my mistakes and will work at them as I said but you continue to come at me so I'm personally telling you to ignore me and hit the ignore button.
I did not say I was going to do that, but did say that I and many others might if you don't grow up quickly and quit acting like a little baby! If you won't take criticism given that was made to help you, then IMHO you are a loser before you even get started! I and the others are not "coming at you", but you are not making this easy on yourself by making the posts you have tonight on both of your threads. As I asked you to do on the other thread, please quit posting for the night and sit back and think about things overnight so you can come back fresh and not act like a big baby!
Old 04-09-2015, 05:59 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by Topgun 3006
I did not say I was going to do that, but did say that I and many others might if you don't grow up quickly and quit acting like a little baby! If you won't take criticism given that was made to help you, then IMHO you are a loser before you even get started! I and the others are not "coming at you", but you are not making this easy on yourself by making the posts you have tonight on both of your threads. As I asked you to do on the other thread, please quit posting for the night and sit back and think about things overnight so you can come back fresh and not act like a big baby!
And I and personally telling you to stop hesitating and please ignore me. You don't have to think about it anymore please block and ignore me.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.