Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Experience with no till food plots >

Experience with no till food plots

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Experience with no till food plots

Old 03-09-2015, 11:31 AM
Spike

Default Experience with no till food plots

What's going on everyone? I'm planning on making several food plots on the land I have. The problem I have is I don't have a tractor or any heavy equipment so no till seed products are looking like a good option. I was wondering how many of you have had success with these products and when would you recommend laying the seed to have it last for a 5 month season?

I've done my research and plan to kill the weeds this weekend. Let the weed killer sit for 2 weeks and then rake the area to put in fertilizer and lime to help the seeds grow. Debating on getting a soil sample. After a month period I'll plant my seeds but don't want to do it to early and have it all gone before bow season is even up but don't want to do it to late and scare the deer out of my area.

Thanks for any input.
Old 03-09-2015, 11:38 AM
Giant Nontypical

I'm not really into food plots because there is plenty of ag land to attract the deer when I hunt in northern MI, so I just hunt the trails to/from bedding areas. I would suggest that you get the soil sample done so you have a good idea of the PH and also talk to the locals to know exactly what fertilizer and lime you'll need along with what's best to plant for your area so you don't waste your money and time.
Old 03-09-2015, 11:58 AM
Boone & Crockett

I think you are talking about top sowing rather than no till because no till still requires a seed drill or similar piece of equipment. I would recommend to talk to an agent from your county ag extension. They can also help you with your soil sampling. They exist to help, take advantage of the service.
Old 03-09-2015, 12:25 PM
Spike

I'll get a sample so then I can find out exactly what I need to put into my soil for the best success with my seeds. I know one guy in my club used lime and fertilizer and his grew well. The president just literally threw the seed on the soil no prep what so ever and his no till product grew to only about knee height.

When would you guys agree is the best time to go out there and start making the plot? Keep in mind I would like it to last throughout most of our 5 month season starting in September.
Old 03-09-2015, 12:31 PM
Giant Nontypical

Those are things you need to talk with your ag service people with down there, as people like myself here in MI and Oldtimr up in Pa have no idea what should be planted, when, or how down in FL where you are to do what you're asking. It would also probably be beneficial to go down to the last forum in this section and go back through a lot of threads or even ask in that Forum to gain more help, but the people down where you live will probably be your best help.

Last edited by Topgun 3006; 03-09-2015 at 12:35 PM.
Old 03-09-2015, 12:35 PM
Spike

Default food plots

You need to put in pelletzied lime in first so that it can help with fertilizer!!! Soil sample is the best ,but the lime helps the fertilized work get it in 3 months ahead time!!! this is where most screw up !!!
Old 03-10-2015, 02:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

Talking

Rent a rototiller to work up your plot. You can work a lot of area in a day.

Al
Old 03-14-2015, 12:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

Been planting food plots for wild game for over 40 years. Best $$$ you will spend will be the soil test. Then be sure to follow it as best you can. Most soils down our way are acidic. Be prepared to put out a lot of lime! Now is great for fall plots. As already mentioned check with your county ag agent for what does good in the Jacksonville area. As far as "no-till", my opinion you need to disturb the soil. If you have nothing more than an ATV to pull or a PU truck. a super small ATV disc set is better than nothing.

Not sure how large your plots are, but if not too big, you could grunt it out with a rear tine power tiller ... rent one. If the plots are too large for that approach, see if you can find a local farmer to prepare your plots. Cost around here run anywhere from about $50 to about $120/acre depending upon how much work has to be done.

Last edited by Mojotex; 03-15-2015 at 12:25 PM.
Old 03-15-2015, 07:28 PM
Giant Nontypical

check out the qdma website forum, those guys really helped me a lot with my food plots.
Old 03-29-2015, 06:43 AM
MZS
Typical Buck

If you are blessed with nice sandy loam, a no-till might work fine. But for our heavy red clay soil I have found that no till or minimum till does not work very well except for a few things like maybe clover, and not even very well at that. It seems it is just too hard for anything to get down to the roots. I have tested this side by side. One part was worked up with a tractor and bull disk and then with a 4 wheeler disk and the other with only a 4 wheeler disk as much as I could. Like night and day results with the same fertilizer and seed using Deer Creek Autumn Buffet clover/brassica/turnip mix. Both areas were hit with weed killer. The tractor disked area was allowed to weather a bit after being turned up, which also helped the clay to bust up when I disked it the 4 wheeler.

And don't skip the soil test - I did another trial with this on a winter rye plot. One year fertilizing per the test and another without - huge difference. Both years the soil was turned up nicely. If you have low pH (under 6) consider fall winter rye plots - winter rye does well in lower pH so you can avoid hauling in 100's of pounds of lime. If you are going no-till, it might be difficult to work in that lime anyway.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.