Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

how's your deer herd

Old 03-26-2015, 10:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

Talking

Deer here at home are still in groups. Yesterday (3-25-15) there were two groups. One in my woods laying on a south facing hill , there were 12 in that group. Another group was laying in the path along a old fence line in the sun, there were 15 of them. They are also starting to shed at a good rate. Today there were 18 in my woods and 9 in the vacant field. They are snarfing up any Acorns they didn't get last fall. Should soon start dispersing to have their fawns.

Al
Old 03-26-2015, 11:14 AM
Typical Buck

You,d think the squirrels would have had all of those acorns snatched up.
Old 03-27-2015, 03:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

Talking

I shipped 49 pounds of Acorns last fall, still have two 5 gallon pails of them stored away yet and there a lot still left.

Al
Old 03-27-2015, 01:43 PM
Boone & Crockett

It would take hundreds of squirrels to eat all the acorns on the ground on the property I hunt this year. It was like walking on marbles in the woods.
Old 03-27-2015, 06:23 PM
Fork Horn

I saw no deer today on my ride in NW Connecticut! I drove thru farm, suburban and wooded land.

Much of the snow is melted and I expected to see deer in the fields where I saw them last year.

The temperature just after noon was in the mid 40'sF.
Old 03-30-2015, 07:45 AM
Fork Horn

We saw one doe last evening in a forested hill near a house where some of the grass was turning green just a little.

Perhaps they feed the deer?

In the large farm fields in the valley where we always see deer in warmer weather we have not seen any so far this year.
Old 03-31-2015, 07:15 AM
Giant Nontypical

CONCORD, N.H. (AP) — The New Hampshire Fish and Game Department says 12 deer have been found dead in South Hampton, most likely the victims of eating human-provided foods.
They were found Friday in two groups in some woods in South Hampton. Necropsies on eight of them indicated they had died from complications caused by winter feeding.
Two deer were brought to the University of New Hampshire Veterinary Diagnostic Laboratory, which concluded there was evidence of a condition caused by a rapid change in diet. Daniel Bergeron, Fish and Game deer biologist, said there was evidence of corn, hay and what appeared to be pelleted grain eaten by the deer.
All of these can be detrimental to deer when suddenly introduced in the winter,” he said.
An adult doe found dead in Dover in February is also believed to have died from supplemental feeding.
The department urges the public not to feed deer. A rapid change in diet to human-provided foods high in carbohydrates can reduce their ability to properly digest food, or release toxins that are absorbed into the deer’s system.

Last edited by Topgun 3006; 03-31-2015 at 07:19 AM. Reason: Spelling
Old 03-31-2015, 09:23 AM
Typical Buck

I saw most of our herd having burgers,fries and extra thick malteds at the local shake shack which just opened for the season yesterday.

Hadn't seen a deer in several weeks; with the snow finally receding they are now out in the fields feeding regularly.