Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Senior Hunter's

Old 02-19-2015, 02:53 PM
Typical Buck

I never used them, I just use a Allen deer dragged rope. The last couple I didn't have to drag to far to dad got their on his atv. Yes that barrel looks like it would hold up really better then those I mentioned. I just show them when I was at cabelas back in January. I have and old plastic sled from when I was little that is made of thick plastic I just don't want to drag it with me. Dad has a one wheeled deer cart he bought problem 25 years ago when he bow hunted a reservoir MD, but never used it. It was to cumbersome to take with you and time you co to get it you could about had the deer out.
Old 02-19-2015, 03:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

the hinges and brackets were for takedown, loosen two wingnuts pull two pins, lay 1/2 in the other and use the bolts/wingnuts to hold it togather, drag it with you opening morn, hide it, when you killed something drag it out, take it back the next trip, surprised me,over rocks and leaves even loaded dragging was almost effortless, on sand and grass ya had to pull a bit.
RR
Old 02-19-2015, 04:47 PM
Giant Nontypical

You need to learn to bone a deer in the field, then you won't have to cut through the bones and not need a saw...No need to carry bones out, just added weight...

I do carry a blade for a sawzall with a handle so I can cut off the antlers if need be...

Hunting like this, you learn to cut way back and just carry what is absolutely necessary...I also have a low beach chair hidden in a lap that I retrieve to hunt out of...I'm not carrying a climber that far into the woods...
Old 02-19-2015, 05:06 PM
JW
Super Moderator

Find a youngster and teach him your tips and tricks. Taking a young bull to hunt along with you helps us geezers hunt longer. And it helps sustain our hunting future!

JW
Old 02-19-2015, 05:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by nchawkeye
You need to learn to bone a deer in the field, then you won't have to cut through the bones and not need a saw...No need to carry bones out, just added weight...

I do carry a blade for a sawzall with a handle so I can cut off the antlers if need be...

Hunting like this, you learn to cut way back and just carry what is absolutely necessary...I also have a low beach chair hidden in a lap that I retrieve to hunt out of...I'm not carrying a climber that far into the woods...
until about 6 years ago you had to take the deer to check station whole here, its since changed.
RR
Old 02-19-2015, 10:20 PM
Typical Buck

Since i am now a true " Senior Hunter",i have a life time lic.now. I sure want to be able to use it for more than a couple of times!!!!!! I put this plan together:
1 If you can't see your car you went in to far.
2 Don't shoot down hill.
And
3 Make sure you sons are with you.
I no longer meat hunt? I don't care about shooting a baldy. I will only shoot at a deer,with antlers and i must be able to see them at 75 yards with out a scope!
To drag a darn deer cart around you must really be sure your going to get one?
Old 02-20-2015, 05:52 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Ridge Runner
until about 6 years ago you had to take the deer to check station whole here, its since changed.
RR
Yep, I understand in some states the laws are different, thankfully here in NC you just have to call them in and get an authorization number...

Most deer hunters should learn to bone deer anyway...It sure make it much easier to process...
Old 02-20-2015, 07:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default I don't look back

Something might be gaining on me.

And if you read too much on the internet, it will.
Old 02-20-2015, 08:37 AM
Spike

Well Mounting Man I like your plan . But just to give you a idea
If I am a true senior , my first car you put the key in the dashboard to start the car
Then you pulled the choke cable out of the dash , then you pushed
The starter button. And if you wanted to put your high beams
On for the head lights you stepped on a button on the floor.and it didn't
Have power steering or automatic transmission.
No CD player or tape deck just am radio. That took a wile to come on
After you turned it on Cuz. It had tubes in side that had to warm up, before it would play..
So I mite be all most a true senior buck hunter.
I hope a lot more old timers jump on this post .
And give us there take on hunting as we get along in yrs. But still
Have a few good hunts in us.
Old 02-20-2015, 08:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by newcomb
Well Mounting Man I like your plan . But just to give you a idea
If I am a true senior , my first car you put the key in the dashboard to start the car
Then you pulled the choke cable out of the dash , then you pushed
The starter button. And if you wanted to put your high beams
On for the head lights you stepped on a button on the floor.and it didn't
Have power steering or automatic transmission.
No CD player or tape deck just am radio. That took a wile to come on
After you turned it on Cuz. It had tubes in side that had to warm up, before it would play..
So I mite be all most a true senior buck hunter.
I hope a lot more old timers jump on this post .
And give us there take on hunting as we get along in yrs. But still
Have a few good hunts in us.
don't count on those older you than jumpin on this post, they are about all dead, them that ain't ain't jumpin, I remember all the stuff in your post but I was a kid then, mom had a car you could crank start if the battery went dead.
RR

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.