Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Pop-up ground blind question

Old 01-29-2015, 04:01 AM
Fork Horn

Default Pop-up ground blind question

I have never use a pop-up blind for deer hunting so I was wondering, when putting one up do the deer notice it and how long before the season should it be put up? Any other suggestions that could help me along? Thanks in advance!
Old 01-29-2015, 07:17 AM
Giant Nontypical

Put it up at least a few weeks before it will be used and brush it in good to take away it's outline.
Old 01-29-2015, 11:18 AM
Giant Nontypical

Make sure you know your requirements for blaze orange flagging if there are any in your intended hunting area.

I would put the blind up anywhere outside for a good while and spray it down even before placing it at the intended hunt site just to get it good and aired out.
Old 01-30-2015, 07:07 AM
RWK
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by chrissum
I have never use a pop-up blind for deer hunting so I was wondering, when putting one up do the deer notice it and how long before the season should it be put up? Any other suggestions that could help me along? Thanks in advance!
I set mine up about 3 weeks before the hunting starts. Make sure u get one the nice and roomy, had friends drop in on rainy days.
Old 01-30-2015, 01:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have been using them for going on 10yrs and have taken deer the same day I put it up!!! I have put up the night before and taken deer the next AM. If you have a spot that has deer activity and can get in and put it up quietly, do so and hunt straight out of it then!!! My brother killed a deer 3 yrs ago from the pop up blind before he was done setting it up!!!! Cleaned the deer and took blind almost up back down and loaded back up on 4 whlr.

Last edited by SecondChance; 01-30-2015 at 02:05 PM.
Old 01-30-2015, 01:45 PM
Typical Buck

I second second chances comments.Blend it in good with the surroundings and your good to go.
Old 01-31-2015, 02:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

Talking

Depending on where you hunt and the time of year I will say a an Amerstep pop blind just sucks.
they have no water proof flaps over the zippers which will get water in them from melting snow and freeze up and unusable.
I contacted them and was told they were to be put up every morning and taken down every night at the end of the hunt, not designed to be left out here in Michigan during deer firearm season.
I only have one left that I got some rubberized camo material and made flaps over all the zippers to make the water run off.

I have set up in the early afternoon and had deer come to stare at the blind and keep getting closer because they wanted to know what that thing was. Of course they were all does and button bucks but were deer.

Al
Old 01-31-2015, 03:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default The problem of pop-up blinds

The first problem is a pop-up blind, is that it isn't in anyway a permanent structure. Keeping them out in the cold and rain and snow isn't meant to work after awhile. It's good for what it does; nothing more.

Knowledge is needed to brush them in; hide them better. Knowledge is needed to repair them. A limb falling on a blind will do wonders to a blind. A Mr. Fix it can keep it operating, as long as possible.

A $100 or $200 structure is just that. It's the attempt to make it what it isn't, of some great permanence, that's in error.
Old 01-31-2015, 05:20 AM
Nontypical Buck

I would also throw out there that something blaze orange is a good idea even if your state doesn't require it.
Old 01-31-2015, 05:44 AM
MZS
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by rockport
I would also throw out there that something blaze orange is a good idea even if your state doesn't require it.
During the gun season on public land, for sure. And even on private land if there is even a chance of another hunter. Otherwise, what happens when a deer is between you and another hunter?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.