Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Having a hard time bringing in doe to shooting range >

Having a hard time bringing in doe to shooting range

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Having a hard time bringing in doe to shooting range

Old 01-26-2015, 11:12 AM
Spike

Default Having a hard time bringing in doe to shooting range

I've been hunting a new area lately and the deer just dont seem to want to come within shooting distance. What do you guys do to bring them in closer? I am using a boy so I like to keep m shots around 30 yards
Old 01-26-2015, 11:24 AM
Typical Buck

Little by little try to sneak your way into the range you need to be into by getting into their bedding or feeding area before they do.If you don,t have cover or other natural ambush spots to close the distance,try a blind set in where you need it or try doe and fawn bleat calls.If none of that is possible you will have to set up down range from where you see em where you think they will wander to when they continue on.Good luck and keep us posted.You can get a cheap speed blind if cost is a factor.
Old 01-26-2015, 02:49 PM
Spike

Deer are very sociable and communicate year round with each other. I would try some soft doe grunts to see if they will become curious and come in for a closer look.
Old 01-26-2015, 03:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

Deer tend to stick to their patterns. Aside from adding food opportunities (a longterm prep activity), you can only do so much attention getting before you tamper with their daily habits, they will go nocturnal or avoid the area for a time if you spook them.

I would try calls and scents sparingly. Deer are not completely stupid, you have to be in places they frequent so move your hunting location accordingly. Think about this, if deer where easily manipulated they wouldn't be so prevailing in the wild.
Old 01-28-2015, 03:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

Talking

I my self would use some thing different than a boy but won't argue with you about the choice of weapon since you are strong enough to throw A boy 30 yards.
Try a fawn in distress call to see if they will come in.

Al
Old 02-01-2015, 03:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default I think those deer have the new patents...

on those phone apps for ***********.
Ha, probably impossible to keep new hunters away from them for an hour.
I noticed the talking noise from lone walkers in the parks. I hear them before I see them.
When I learned hunting, there was little talking. That's a lot art.
Old 02-01-2015, 06:09 AM
Typical Buck

Are you ground hunting or up a tree stand?
Old 02-01-2015, 07:45 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by hbf1031
I've been hunting a new area lately and the deer just dont seem to want to come within shooting distance. What do you guys do to bring them in closer? I am using a boy so I like to keep m shots around 30 yards
Since you are hunting a new area,you will just have to learn the deer patterns..I would sit up close to a well used trail that you know they are using.You just need to be patient.What I do if I hunt from the ground is never use the same stand more than a couple times,i will move 15 or 20 yards off n still hunt the same area.Deer pattern hunters pretty quick and more than once I have moved my stand only to get a shot on a deer that was looking for me at my old stand site.Good luck