Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Is it even worth the fight?

Old 01-27-2015, 08:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Some decisions are hard

Are you fighting for yourself or your son's getting a license to continue to hunt.

I recently, in a different situation, got an increased fee for a service. I don't have much to argue about. I need the service, increase or not.
Maybe I'll have more weight in a year or two. The fee won't break me so I decided to wait to complain. The bureaucracy is on their side for now. Besides, I have to stay alive to owe the fee.
The best advice I can give to you, is not to take the son hunting in marginal places.

Last edited by Valentine; 01-27-2015 at 09:08 AM.
Old 01-27-2015, 02:01 PM
Typical Buck

My son too keeps his license pinned to the back of his vest with the holder we had to use not long ago.It makes it conveianant and you always know where it is.
Old 01-27-2015, 03:35 PM
Banned

all injustices are worth fighting. your fighting may keep another from having to.
Old 01-27-2015, 03:54 PM
MZS
Typical Buck

Seems to me the real issue here is a neighbor that probably complained about the guy being too close. Then, once that was checked out (false) the warden did some more checking. Now his son loses his license and a fine is coming. Not really a great way to promote hunting among the youth, even if the action is legally justified.

Reminds me of a time when I fished for 5 min off a bridge and then quickly stopped when I realized my license from last year just expired - the warden saw me with a spotting scope and even noted that he realized exactly what I had done noting how he figured I just remembered my license expired - but he ticketed me anyway. So I was striving to obey the law but I slipped up for an instant. Kind of like overshooting the speed limit for a second and getting clobbered with a ticket rather than a warning.

Last edited by MZS; 01-27-2015 at 03:56 PM.
Old 01-27-2015, 04:14 PM
Giant Nontypical

Lots of conjecture here from people that is overboard IMHO. First off, there was no injustice regarding what the OP stated happened and how it was handled by the GW. Second, there has been no fine issued to the OP, as the only thing that happened was confiscation of the boys license that wasn't good any more anyway. Finally, regarding the previous post by MZS I have this question. How in the world would the GW know that you had just figured out that your license was expired and that's why you were discontinuing fishing from the bridge. You violated the law and he had the discretion to issue a warning or a ticket and did the latter. Your stating that it was similar to a ticket for speeding for just a second or two and getting a ticket is also quite ridiculous, as how would the Officer know how long you were violating the law. IMHO the GW gave the OP a break if a ticket wasn't issued and whether he checked the OP because of a neighbor asking him to because of the distance to the private property really makes no difference. An Officer will do a number of things during a visit with a person, including checking for license violations, use of legal or illegal equipment, number of shells in the gun if there is a shell maximum, etc. Many violations are found during a stop when the actual reason for the stop or check didn't reveal a violation.
Old 01-27-2015, 04:30 PM
Spike

One thing I have learned from this thread is that I am overdue for deep reading my state's hunting regulations. I used to be very diligent in doing this, but haven't for some time, and laws change.
Old 01-27-2015, 05:11 PM
MZS
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Topgun 3006
Finally, regarding the previous post by MZS I have this question. How in the world would the GW know that you had just figured out that your license was expired and that's why you were discontinuing fishing from the bridge. You violated the law and he had the discretion to issue a warning or a ticket and did the latter.
He told me so. "I noticed that you wrapped up pretty quickly and I figured you just realized your license just expired" is very close to what he said.

Last edited by MZS; 01-27-2015 at 05:13 PM.
Old 01-28-2015, 03:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

I wasn't aware of this rule until the recent fight over mentored youth hunting in PA.

A lot of guys kept their kid's license with theirs. So you don't lose, misplace, forget them. The mentored youth can only hunt with their mentors so they would never need to have their tags personally. The parent usually has a pack and keeps everything in the pack.

The big complaint in PA is that guys were using their kid's tag to shoot a 2nd buck. A weak argument based on paranoia and grumpy old men who don't want to compete with kids in their deer woods.
Old 01-28-2015, 04:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by BarnesX.308
I wasn't aware of this rule until the recent fight over mentored youth hunting in PA.

A lot of guys kept their kid's license with theirs. So you don't lose, misplace, forget them. The mentored youth can only hunt with their mentors so they would never need to have their tags personally. The parent usually has a pack and keeps everything in the pack.

The big complaint in PA is that guys were using their kid's tag to shoot a 2nd buck. A weak argument based on paranoia and grumpy old men who don't want to compete with kids in their deer woods.
I just don't see a problem with expecting people that are responsible enough to hunt being expected to be responsible enough to keep track of their own tags/license.

I just don't see the big deal. A person responsible enough to operate a firearm should be responsible enough to take care of their own tags IMO......Especially at age 17
Old 01-29-2015, 03:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

I just don't see a problem with expecting people that are responsible enough to hunt being expected to be responsible enough to keep track of their own tags/license.

I just don't see the big deal. A person responsible enough to operate a firearm should be responsible enough to take care of their own tags IMO......Especially at age 17
If a responsible family is flying out of country for vacation, one family member will probably carry all the paperwork and passports in one spot. Just easier to keep track of everything that way. It's not malicious. It's just efficient and a good way to keep track of everything. And it certainly isn't saying that anyone else in the family is irresponsible.

In PA, we used to have to wear our licenses on our backs. Then they did away with that and you just keep them in your pocket. Easier to lose. When my son and I hunted together, we never hunted apart. I never went out by myself and he didn't either. So I just put all our tags in one ziplock.

PA is trying to mirror that Tom Cruise movie where they arrested people before they committed a crime. Because they might.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.