Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Help with Summer Plot

Old 01-21-2015, 10:12 AM
Spike

Default Help with Summer Plot

This will be my first year planting summer food plots for my deer. I am trying to really pump protein and all into my deer to help them really grow. I will be mixing Mean Greens and Bio Mass on 2 different tracts of land that I hunt.

The first tract is mainly hard woods with and old logging road, there is a clear patch maybe 1/4 to 1/2 an acre. This is where I usually plant my winter plots. It is always grown up in the summer time. How can I keep the weeds and all from over taking my soybeans, cowpeas, sunflowers, and other plants?

The second tract of land was clear cut two and a half years ago, we bought it two years ago. This year it is really grown up with a lot of brush. The deer are really using the cut over and I think this could be a really nice spot next year. This area is going to take a lot of work i know. Now how can I keep all the weeds and broom sage that grows in clear cuts down in the summer to really help the plot to grow?

Another question, Will these plots still be growing in the Fall? The clear cut won't be a problem, didn't know if my usually area in the hardwoods would still have peas and beans on it when I went to plant my winter plot.
Old 01-22-2015, 03:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

Weed control is tough for sure. Field prep is extremely important. Wipe out the weeds as best you can with generic Round-Up. If there are woody plants in the plot, such as briars or saplings, use 2-4-D also. Bush hog the plots if you can befoe planting.

Once the crops get going, selective herbicides are about the only route to go for excellent weed control unless you can regularly cultivate. We can not. A good perennial clover might be the trick. There are several very effective selective herbicdes for clovers. We have about 6 acres total in perrenial clovers.

We tried a new crop last summer ... Sunn Hemp. We had never heard of it. We were talked into this crop by a wildlife biologist, and we were skeptical. You can find a great deal of info on the benefits. We planted 6 fields that totaled about 7 acres. We were so pleased with the results that we are expanding the amount to as many of our 35 acres of plots as we can afford. Deer love it. This past fall, we bush hogged the crop and planted our regular winter mixes. I am thinking that this crop would be good for a sunny spot. Probably would not do so well in heavy shade. Before investing, I'd check with local ag extension agent to see if this, or whatever crop you are considering, is suitable for your area. Sunn Hemp does great in the south.

Last edited by Mojotex; 01-22-2015 at 03:46 PM.
Old 01-24-2015, 04:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default lordy, I avoided becoming a farmer

You can spend a lot of time becoming a farmer and doing farmer things. Knew a farmer where I hunted on his land. He had enough time to leave his rifle on his back porch, in case he got a chance at a shot.

Good luck. I avoided becoming a farmer ever since.