Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
The demise of the whitetail challenge. >

The demise of the whitetail challenge.

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

The demise of the whitetail challenge.

Old 01-08-2015, 08:41 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Oldtimr
I have already posted regarding my position on baiting, if it is legal and you want to, go for it. However, there are situations where baiting can affect other hunters. Many people hunt relatively small properties, if your property borders a property where the owner/hunter does not bait nor want to, your baiting could draw deer off of his property onto yours and therefore affect his hunting. Yeah, I know, we don't own the deer, the state does but baiting can affect others who do not bait.
That is exactly right and the more that bait out and around where you hunt the worse it is to see deer of any type for exactly the reason I mentioned in my other post. I wish baiting had never started, but it's big business for stores up here in MI and IMHO the hunter that does it is as lazy as the deer that come to his bait.
Old 01-08-2015, 09:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

Baiting seems like a snowball effect.

I mean if your neighbors are baiting you about have to right?

I'd rather hunt deer than pattern human activity so I'm glad its illegal where I live.

Last edited by rockport; 01-08-2015 at 09:09 AM.
Old 01-08-2015, 09:31 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by X_Rayted35
i would think baiting for some people is simply because thats all they can afford or they dont have the time to do anything else. Im pretty everyone out there would love to have a nice 5 acre foodplot with some luscious clover and turnips growing. But not everyone can devote the time and money to do that. A bag of corn is $6 and takes 5 mins to put out. Also 150 acres of my land is planted every year so its like a massive foodplot. But again not everyone has access to that so theres no reason to punish them. I mean if some guy is baiting 100 miles away is that seriously affecting your hunting?
100 miles away? I mean just use common sense, if it were 100 miles away I'd be an idiot to make a thread of it. lol . Try out of state leasers on the neighboring farm.
Old 01-08-2015, 09:45 AM
Spike

Well I am glad that most share the same opinions on this, though I can tell some are still lost, or just baiters themselves. For those of you who haven't had a neighboring property start baiting then feel lucky because I just got introduced this season to how drastically it affected the hunting on my property. It didnt seem to have much effect until the fall forage was gone then it was evident because they started going to the feeders over the property line rather than making the longer trip to the nearest corn field (on my farm). BUT this is the internet so I dont want to go too deep in this or it will give the baiters more ideas/insight. lol
Old 01-08-2015, 10:37 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by rockport
Baiting seems like a snowball effect.

I mean if your neighbors are baiting you about have to right?

I'd rather hunt deer than pattern human activity so I'm glad its illegal where I live.
You are absolutely correct on the snowball effect. The neighbor on the 40 south of my place that I've had since 1973 up in northern MI used to have bait piles all over the place and I mean a bunch of it in amounts that were illegal. He was the type that would have burned my place down if I had called the DNR, so I just lived with it. It drastically affected my hunting over the ten years or so that he was there. When he sold out 5 years ago to a nice fellow that lives down in southern MI the change was very dramatic.
Old 01-08-2015, 11:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Topgun 3006
You are absolutely correct on the snowball effect. The neighbor on the 40 south of my place that I've had since 1973 up in northern MI used to have bait piles all over the place and I mean a bunch of it in amounts that were illegal. He was the type that would have burned my place down if I had called the DNR, so I just lived with it. It drastically affected my hunting over the ten years or so that he was there. When he sold out 5 years ago to a nice fellow that lives down in southern MI the change was very dramatic.
I feel for you guys that have to deal with that. Not that I don't have plenty of human interference to deal with myself but luckily baiting is one less thing I have to deal with.

Last edited by rockport; 01-08-2015 at 11:33 AM.
Old 01-10-2015, 07:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

I don't like baiting. I think it spreads disease.
Old 01-13-2015, 04:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default The demise of hunters

Times change rapidly. I know from all the older things I still use.

The ten year old that hunted doesn't find hunting the same at 25. Many move at 25 for new places and lose the old camraderie; some stay in the old area and see other buddies move off. The old becomes the past. Life changes.
By the time you get to forty, it can be the lone hunter who hunts.
Maybe you'll find one hunter in the new neighborhood. Maybe none in a crowded metro area.
Met a man in his eighties. He neither hunted or fished. Did neither since he was eighteen. The demise of hunters varies. But each young hunter has a problem to face. It's not always easy to stay a hunter.
Old 01-14-2015, 06:34 PM
Fork Horn

I've never been fond of baiting. Not that I'm going to knock someone who does utilize it but where I'm at feeders are illegal and you can't have more than two gallons out per so many acres at a time. So you'd have to go tromping through the woods pretty often to keep bait out all the time. My grandfather does keep a bait pile just below his house with a trail camera on it and I have noticed that the mature bucks come in well after dark if they come at all. To each their own.
Old 01-14-2015, 06:55 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Valentine
Times change rapidly. I know from all the older things I still use.

The ten year old that hunted doesn't find hunting the same at 25. Many move at 25 for new places and lose the old camraderie; some stay in the old area and see other buddies move off. The old becomes the past. Life changes.
By the time you get to forty, it can be the lone hunter who hunts.
Maybe you'll find one hunter in the new neighborhood. Maybe none in a crowded metro area.
Met a man in his eighties. He neither hunted or fished. Did neither since he was eighteen. The demise of hunters varies. But each young hunter has a problem to face. It's not always easy to stay a hunter.

+1

............ and well stated Valentine !

You have to want to, and can't sleep the night before in anticipation !!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.