Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

First Deer - Button Buck

Old 12-14-2014, 05:36 PM
Fork Horn

Default First Deer - Button Buck

I got my first deer on Friday. I thought it was a doe, but turned out to be a button buck. Everyone's been congratulating me on my first deer, but I have mixed feelings. I really wish I just got a doe so the button buck could have had a chance to grow into a nice big buck. I guess these types of things are just part of hunting.
Old 12-14-2014, 05:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

your ok, congrats on your first, just learn from it, its all you can do
RR
Old 12-14-2014, 06:14 PM
MZS
Typical Buck

Don't even think that! You got your first deer, and be darned happy. It is much like your first fish. I will very often keep a smaller fish than I normally would, but it seems like once that first one goes in the ice chest, many more soon follow. So instead of a doe that might have several fawns next spring, you bagged a deer that is not going to have fawns and is more likely to be preyed upon by coyotes over the winter or not make it through the winter. Just make good use of the meat and all is well.
Old 12-14-2014, 06:28 PM
Fork Horn

congrats on the buck man. they can't all be 185" monsters to start off
Old 12-14-2014, 07:05 PM
Spike

Congrats! Don't feel bad, My first deer also turned out to be a button buck.
Old 12-14-2014, 08:34 PM
Fork Horn

I wouldn't think of it like that. I'd look at it as a successful hunt and meat in the freezer. Congrats!
Old 12-14-2014, 08:35 PM
Typical Buck

Congratulations on your first deer. Mine was a "Unicorn" shot up in yhe Pithole area many years ago. There can only be one first and you will remember it for the rest of your life so be proud of it.
Old 12-14-2014, 09:03 PM
Giant Nontypical

Congratulations on you first deer !

Filling your freezer is part of hunting.
Old 12-15-2014, 04:18 AM
Giant Nontypical

If the deer is legal, then you have no reason to regret taking it. I've never seen an antler yet that was edible and if you shot a button thinking it was a doe then you were not shooting it for antlers any ways. Personally, I can't figure out the current trend of thinking every deer has to be some sort of monster before it is taken. Enjoy the meat and remember the experience. The first deer is something to cherish, not something to beat yourself up over.
Old 12-15-2014, 05:14 AM
Spike

It is your first deer....don't beat yourself up!! Enjoy the fact that you were able to harvest a deer....enjoy some steaks!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.