Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

SE Michigan.

Old 11-24-2014, 01:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

Talking SE Michigan.

No Yooper deer this year.
Cold 27F with a 20F wind chill just before I went out the door 11-15-14 at 6:50 PM. Made the short walk to my deer blind behind the pole barn. Scared a bunch of deer in the dark, they ran thru the frozen leaves making a racket.
Got up in my blind and settled in . About 7:30 I had a cup of tea and took a Motrin for my throat, felt a cold coming on. I closed the south facing window because the snow was blowing in it. I am watching a bunch of squirrels that are wakening up playing around. I hear leaves making a racket to the south so look and see a deer. I open the window again as the deer disappears behind some brush. Grab binocs and take a look as it comes from behind the brush. It's a buck. Grab the shot gun and stick it out the window, can't see any horns. Turn it up from 1.5 to 4 power and now I see horns a decent rack. Squeeze the trigger, watch the buck spin around in its tracks and fall. It is now 8:15AM I climb out of the blind to go to the deer as Kare calls me on the radio. She tells me there was a shot close to the house it seemed. I tell her it was me who shot. She asked if I wanted her to come take pictures. I say yes and tell her it is a 7 point, 4 on one side and 3 on the other.
She helped after the pictures to drag it to where I could get the lawn tractor and trailer to it. Heavy deer about 190 pounds, Kare said she knew why some deer hunters every year die of heart attacks after helping me drag it.

The blind I stained this summer. The left window is the one I had to close then open.

The deer a 7 point.

[img width=576 height=768]http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y60/twotracker/Hunting%20things/2014Nov15_2353_zps8e579216.jpg[/img]

[img width=576 height=768]http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y60/twotracker/Hunting%20things/2014Nov15_2355_zps7726a572.jpg[/img]

Al
Old 11-24-2014, 05:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

Congrats!!!!!
Old 11-24-2014, 05:21 AM
Boone & Crockett

Good going. I know what you mean, deer some how got heavier as I got older, especially up hill. My new stand overlooks a ravine on one side so a couple of weeks ago I bough a winch that hangs on my tailer hitch and two 100 ft hanks of rope. If I drop one in the ravine I will tag it and go get my truck and back it up to the ravine , hook up the winch and pull that sucker out of there.
Old 11-24-2014, 08:34 AM
Fork Horn

I surly do miss hunting in MI sometimes.. The NOV 15th opener just has a feel like no other anywhere else I have hunted..
Old 11-24-2014, 09:54 AM
Fork Horn

Nice work! Thanks for sharing your story and photos.
Old 11-26-2014, 12:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

Talking

Waiting for Nov 15th is like, no worst than waiting for Christmas.
They tried a couple times in my hinting life to Open the season on a Saturday closest to the 15th but to many complaints has been the results.

Al
Old 11-26-2014, 04:24 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by alleyyooper
Waiting for Nov 15th is like, no worst than waiting for Christmas.
They tried a couple times in my hinting life to Open the season on a Saturday closest to the 15th but to many complaints has been the results.

Al
As a kid I loved it they would close the schools for the whole week so we could hunt.....
Old 11-27-2014, 01:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

Talking

Where I grew up in Osceola county between Marion and Evart you had to do extra home work ahead of time to get permission to miss school. Later in the 1970's they finally decided that they might just as well close the schools for the first 3days and the factory's did also.
This is my 54th season. still have my second tag although I have seen a couple bucks since the first day. No rush have Muzzle loader season coming up Dec 5th (?) till the 21st.

Al
Old 11-27-2014, 01:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

Nice buck, nice deer stand!
Old 11-27-2014, 04:40 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by alleyyooper
Where I grew up in Osceola county between Marion and Evart you had to do extra home work ahead of time to get permission to miss school. Later in the 1970's they finally decided that they might just as well close the schools for the first 3days and the factory's did also.
This is my 54th season. still have my second tag although I have seen a couple bucks since the first day. No rush have Muzzle loader season coming up Dec 5th (?) till the 21st.

Al
I grew up near traverse city in Grand traverse county but we did most of our hunting in Kalkaska county and Leelanau County.. I Started deer hunting in 1974 so you have a few years on me..lol

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.