Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Looking for Hunting Blind Platform >

Looking for Hunting Blind Platform

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Looking for Hunting Blind Platform

Old 11-23-2014, 10:19 AM
Spike

Default Looking for Hunting Blind Platform

I'm in the market for a sturdy, lightweight blind platform, probably about 6x6 and about 6-8 feet up. I'm looking to top it with plywood and use a pop-up style square blind on it. I have no sons, but one of my daughters is interested in hunting, so I'd like to make it as comfortable as possible for her (and me). Getting a solid side blind out to my spot is out of the question -- too hard to get it there. I figure this is the next best thing. Everything has to fit into my jet sled. I thought I'd use two 3x6 1/2" sheets of plywood for the floor.

The ladder would need to go to the side, not through the floor.

Any ideas?

Last edited by schuld66; 11-23-2014 at 10:38 AM.
Old 11-23-2014, 10:58 AM
Fork Horn

I think sportsman guide sells one... You can also buy the elevator brackets and build one.. 1/2" ply wood is kind of thin, it will work with the right floor system but if not you could go through it..

Last edited by ojibwa; 11-23-2014 at 12:40 PM.
Old 11-23-2014, 12:34 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by ojibwa
1/2" play wood is kind of thin, it will work with the right floor system but if not you could go through it..
The ones I've seen have a grate-style metal floor, so I went with the thinner flooring to save on the weight.
Old 11-23-2014, 12:46 PM
Boone & Crockett

If you put in a couple of joists to support the floor, a half inch will be enough.
Old 11-23-2014, 12:49 PM
Fork Horn

yep as long as you build a proper floor system[joists] no more the 14" centers 1/2 will work.. I would not use a grate type floor unless you the wind to blow up your skirt..lol
Old 11-23-2014, 01:17 PM
Boone & Crockett

Old 11-24-2014, 01:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

Talking

If you can get a platform to your spot you can get a modular blind out to it.

4x4x8' corner post and center post, 2x6 platform frame attached. 3/3 inch ply for the floor with one 2/4 center joist. Porch part is 2x6 treated.
Walls are 7/16 OSB cut and attached to 11/2" corner post, 11/2 rails on the bottom bolted to the plat form then lag bolted at the corners.

I can get better pictures of the insides if you want so you can build it in sections and then assemble at the hunting spot.

Al
Old 11-24-2014, 04:43 AM
Typical Buck

I built an attic in my pole barn and used 3/4 inch for the floor. My trusses are 4 foot on center so I put joist in every 2 feet. There are still spots that it "sags" when I step on it. So if you are going to use 1/2 inch you will lose and of your weight "savings" in bracing. Might as well go with the thicker stuff.