Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
I have a question for you folks.. >

I have a question for you folks..

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

I have a question for you folks..

Old 11-21-2014, 03:52 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default I have a question for you folks..

Yesterday while out hunting a guy shot a real nice 10 pointer in the area I was hunting in.. So I went to another place I have never hunted before.. It was some cuttings where there is a big clear cut and across from it is a smaller cutting with a lot of fur trees in it. I scout the fur tree area first and moved maybe 7 or 8 deer around. Which really pretty decent for up here.. Then I went and scouted around the clear cut. It is probably around 1 of a mile long with a couple of wooded sections that come down and cross the road. These could make some great deer runs. But, they are not using them as such. While scouting there were sections of ledges that no one could see over unless they walked up on them. Well on the other side of this stuff I found area where the deer has dug at the stumps as well as all the way around them. Now we are talking quite a bit of stumps. I would guess handy to 25 of them being dug like this.. Although they are scattered around some.. But none the less one area may have close to 12 stumps and another area may have 4 or 5 stumps.. What is up with this? Are they digging up mushrooms or what the heck is going on. I took a picture of one of these stumps with my cell phone.. It does very little justice for what you will see. These areas around the stumps are up to eight feet or better wide.. Anyways here is a picture for you folks to see and let me know what you think maybe going on..

Old 11-21-2014, 04:09 PM
Super Moderator

It looks like they are digging the salt, and minerals from the saw dust from where the trees were cut down.
Mushrooms are phosphorous, and that is good for antler growth.
Old 11-21-2014, 04:15 PM
Boone & Crockett

I really have no idea.. I have hunted up here for almost 40 years now and have never seen anything like this before.. I hope you are right jrbsr.. Because if so it should be like setting around apple trees waiting for them to come in and the bucks would have some pretty big head gear..
Old 11-22-2014, 02:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

My first guess would be minerals like jrbsr has stated. I make my own mineral licks, and dig up the soil and pour it in. I got holes in the ground where the deer have been working them over the years that are a good 3 to 4 across, and almost a foot deep.
Old 11-22-2014, 05:07 PM
Boone & Crockett

Thanks Mastevt, I had some lucky buck out at a place before during the spring and summer months and they had a big hole dug into the ground there as well. During our hunting seasons we can not have anything out. But this place with all the stumps they have hit puts any mineral site I have seen to shame. Not for as far as depth goes but area is stretched out. So if it is I should be in a great spot to get a decent buck here.. Hopefully sporting some heavey head gear to boot.. I will be trying to get in early and set on it for as long as I can.. Hopefully all day if so I should be able to get one out of that place..
Old 11-22-2014, 06:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

Good luck Phil!
Here in Missouri it's illegal to bait, but mineral sites are ok.