Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
What exactly are my Coyotes eating? >

What exactly are my Coyotes eating?

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

What exactly are my Coyotes eating?

Old 11-22-2014, 07:04 AM
Little Doe Peep

Red face

A study on Michigan's Upper Peninsula found coyotes to be the number one killer of deer. Bobcats were second, wolves were fourth.

http://www.mlive.com/outdoors/index....which_pre.html

Hunters, unknown predators, and unknown causes tied for third.
Old 11-22-2014, 08:08 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by X_Rayted35
I live in SC and it seems we have a pretty bad Yote problem. Some people I have talked to said they havent even see a single spotted deer this year. Even though I live on my farm and have heard them this is actually the first year I have seen Coyotes. My dad and I have seen 4 this year. I even had one of them walk out not 15 feet from me to check me out when I pulled up to a stand on my 4wheeler. I have also heard them more this year as well, even right behind my house maybe 20 yards away from the sound of them.

But then something else I have seen leads me to believe we dont have any Coyotes at all. I have seen fawns with literally every single doe and even with twins on occasion. I have also seen, and heard a lot more Turkeys this year. Even my Quail population is way up and I was able to call them into the yard and even saw them running across the grass from my bedroom window every now and then.

So what exactly are the Coyotes I see and hear eating? I remember my trapper not getting a single one earlier this year on my land but caught 7 or 8 across the road. So are they just passing through and dont actually stay on my land?
The population has really blown up around here in Virginia. We are beginning to see more and more of them. I have seen them eat anything from berries, corn and other plants, to deer and rodents. What ever they eat isn't much of the problem, the problem is they are dangerous as hell! People have been getting attacked by them. Our rule here is, and we have over 1000 acres of land on our farm, is, if you see them, kill them immediately. We all carry pistols when working and hunting here.
Be careful is my best advice. If you hear them loudly, grab your gun because they are not far from you.
Old 11-23-2014, 09:15 AM
Giant Nontypical

You know what the "tree huggers" will say......................

Everyone else - That's fine until someone gets hurt (or killed) !!!

Then they will get concerned.
Old 11-23-2014, 07:28 PM
Fork Horn

the coyotes that frequent the 3 bait/camera sights i have always seem to stop in and eat some of the split peas i leave for the deer.