Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Best State for Private Land Ownership? >

Best State for Private Land Ownership?

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Best State for Private Land Ownership?

Old 11-21-2014, 04:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by BarnesX.308
If it is legal to bait for flies in a certain state, you would catch more with honey than vinegar. You must have a lot of extra vinegar.
Nicely put Barnes. The guy comes on here with a sarcastic, pompous a$$ attitude when a guy tries to help him out.
Old 11-21-2014, 04:45 AM
MZS
Typical Buck

The original question made no mention of large tracts. So I did not even think about the posting laws - how much work would it be to post 40 acres? He is right about most of us though - we can not just go out and buy 400+ acres in multiple states. Heck, I can not even buy 20 acres of additional land in my own state. But if you have 100's of acres of prime hunting land, I think even signs and laws will not keep trespassers out.
Old 11-21-2014, 05:54 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by ojibwa
the state with the best deer hunting and lowest property taxes most states in the south east qualify... check non resident license fees as well if you are not going to live there, land in TN is cheap but non res license is almost $300.. I have owned land in TN,AL and GA, looking to buy some now in KY and it is fairly reasonable as is MO...

Once you get into the midwest IL,IW,KS etc land gets a little more pricey and property taxes go up as well..Extreme west TX land is cheap if you buy enough of it..

I used to sell hunting land all over the place east of the Mississippi..

They're not making any more land buy it now if you can.. It one of the best investments you can own.. I have very little money in the stock market it's all in paid for real estate..
Thanks Bud. Yeah, KY is a good deal per acre, I know they have some quality whitetails there as well as elk recently, but apples to apples I would rather take MO for the statewide quality of animals. I am definitely interested in learning more about areas north of the mason dixon line in an effort to get away from (human) population density and towards heavier bodied deer.
Old 11-21-2014, 06:44 AM
Fork Horn

OH, has some reasonably priced land especially the south east part of the state as does MI in the northern lower peninsula but property taxes in MI are a tad on the high side. The U.P of MI, used to be real cheap but it has really jumped in recent years which is funny because there is nothing up there... you would think land in the Dakotas and NB, would be reasonable but is is high on avg since much is farm land.. MT,WY,CO are all high even in the boonies
Old 11-21-2014, 06:49 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by MZS
if you have 100's of acres of prime hunting land, I think even signs and laws will not keep trespassers out.
That is where the state resources and enforcement of laws piece comes into play. No question protecting larger tracts is an ongoing effort anywhere.

In some states (particularly in the southeast), though, DNR is so understaffed that they either can't respond to the calls, or when they do and they catch people baiting and hunting without permission, it could be a slap on the wrist and they are back at it next week in a different spot or on someone elses property, whereas in other states they will take your conveyance, firearm, and put you in the clink for awhile.

I think tough laws are a deterrent to some extent.

To the broader audience, keep in mind this was posted in the whitetails section. My goal is to manage for trophy whitetails (4.5 yrs and up), which requires protecting my property from unauthorized hunting as well as confidence that the state will protect my rights from those who do and punish them when they are caught.
Old 11-21-2014, 06:57 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by ojibwa
OH, has some reasonably priced land especially the south east part of the state as does MI in the northern lower peninsula but property taxes in MI are a tad on the high side. The U.P of MI, used to be real cheap but it has really jumped in recent years which is funny because there is nothing up there... you would think land in the Dakotas and NB, would be reasonable but is is high on avg since much is farm land.. MT,WY,CO are all high even in the boonies
Yeah, I really like MI. It is beautiful.Their Hunter Access Program is interesting, and they also have alot of snowmobile trails, etc. running throughout public and private property. Seems like there is alot of shared access and associated laws there, with different wrinkles in each township, although given the low population density, perhaps it should not be a big consideration? I have read some threads online and it seems like they have plenty of great hunting on public lands, which should bode well for private owners. Am curious about DNR presence and enforcement up there as well