Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

12 months!!!

Old 11-20-2014, 04:50 AM
Fork Horn

Default 12 months!!!

Thats what the taxidermist told me about a month ago when I droped my deer off to be mounted...

I have had a dozen or so deer mounted but never one that has taken a year, most I have gotten back in 6 months or less.. And I have used some excellent award winning taxi's..

The guy I use in KY [Central Kentucky Taxidermy Justin Tinsley] has about a 3 to 4 month turn around.. I usually kill in sept then go back up in DEC right after Christmas to kill some doe's and pick up my mount.. He has won many awards for deer and turkey..

The taxidermist I usually use in GA [Andy Nimmons]has a fairly quick turnaround as well and is very good..

The new dude [FORTNER TAXIDERMY] I took my latest buck was recommended by a good friend and does awesome work [so he says]
I guess we will find out in a year he says he is an artist, he is also supposed to send me pics as the process goes along.. I guess one of the reason he takes a little longer is he also processes deer and doesn't start on mounts till season winds down

The one good thing about is I don't have to shell out the rest of the $525
Attached Thumbnails 12 months!!!-img950167.jpg  
Old 11-20-2014, 05:33 AM
Boone & Crockett

Around here, a year is not unusual for a turn around on a deer head. Many times the really good artists have a lot of work, north American and African etc and there can be a lot of customers work ahead of yours. I would rather wait and be happy with the mount than get it back fast and hate it. I have see some mounts that turned around in a few mnths that I would not hang in the garage.

Last edited by Oldtimr; 11-20-2014 at 05:37 AM.
Old 11-20-2014, 05:36 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Oldtimr
Around here, a year is not unusual for a turn around on a deer head. I have see some mounts that turned around in a few months that I would not hang in the garage.
have seen a few like that as well, all of mine look great even after years on the wall... there is a huge diff in a guy who just mounts heads and a man who loves his craft..
Old 11-20-2014, 05:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

A year is pretty normal from my experience. Ive finally found one that is good and quick but its rare.
Old 11-20-2014, 05:49 AM
Spike

After a year, much is forgotten. The moment, and everything else. I get mine in about 6 months.
Old 11-20-2014, 05:56 AM
Fork Horn

The taxi tells me it will be well worth the wait I hope so.. One of the best looking mounts I have took 4 months and he paid a loot of attention to detail.. So am really looking forward to what this one will look like..

here is one of my bows kill 126 7/8 I had done in KY he did a wall pedestal and it turned out great.
Attached Thumbnails 12 months!!!-downsized_0120141718.jpg   12 months!!!-downsized_0120141719.jpg  
Old 11-20-2014, 05:59 AM
Boone & Crockett

Short track, When the mount is delievered to a customer they will remember every detail of the hunt which I doubt they forget in the first place. Anytime a person showed me a buck mount, no matter how long ago they killed the deer they told me every detail leading up to the shot and sometimes facts after the hunt and it didn't make any difference if it was a P&Y or B&C sized deer or just a normal rack deer that they appreciated not necessarily for the rack, but for the experience it gave them. Some people get buck mounted for bragging rights, most get them mounted as a reminder of a good time.

Last edited by Oldtimr; 11-20-2014 at 06:31 AM.
Old 11-20-2014, 06:29 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Oldtimr
Short track, When the mount is delievered to a customer they remember every detail of the hunt which I doubt they forget in the first place.
yep I have tons of trail cam pics of this deer from Aug right up to the day before I killed him on Oct 5... The day before I killed him I set up a mock scrape and a cam, I got pics of him less them 24 hours before I killed him..Not a monster but a good bow kill for our area...
Attached Thumbnails 12 months!!!-pict0262.jpg   12 months!!!-pict0003.jpg   12 months!!!-img954252.jpg  
Old 11-20-2014, 06:59 AM
Boone & Crockett

A great buck for sure. I hope your taxidermist does him proud.
Old 11-20-2014, 08:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thats a great buck! Congrats

The number one thing I believe is getting a quality mount, not turnaround. I'd rather pay twice as much and take twice as long, then get a crappy mount back fast.

Around here, most will typically tell you they try and get everything wrapped up within a year. Of course alot of that is dependent on when you bring them in. If its a bowkill early season, you'll probably get it in 6 mos. Bring it in late in the season...12+mos. The last one we had done (my nephews) took 15mos. They did a nice job, but we didn't get it in until late Dec. Also depends on how many they have to do, and remember...most don't only do deer heads.

It doesn't take long to mount one... its where you are in line that is the wait.

On the flip side, I had a buddy get one done in about 2mos and was cheap. Looked like crap. I told him if it was mine, I'd cut the horns off the mount. LOL

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.