Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Buck Down!! My best yet.....Short Video >

Buck Down!! My best yet.....Short Video

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Buck Down!! My best yet.....Short Video

Old 11-17-2014, 04:08 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by ojibwa
I guess those of you who are against the mans methods hunt like the BENOIT brothers, you go out find a big buck track and start following it till you catch up to the deer and then shoot it.. Thats how real hunters do it isn't it..
actually i hunt like that alot killed my biggest buck like that, its pretty fun
Old 11-17-2014, 04:20 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by iowa whitetail
actually i hunt like that alot killed my biggest buck like that, its pretty fun
tried it a few times when I lived in northern MI, bucks always busted me first..
It is definitely a skill not many have.. Too fast and they bust you too slow and they bust you. The Benoit's say a steady pace is best..
Old 11-17-2014, 04:21 PM
Spike

good buck; what did he score?
Old 11-17-2014, 04:31 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by WrackMaster
Darn nice buck! Congrats! What did he score?
Originally Posted by mopy77
good buck; what did he score?
He scored 143.
Old 11-17-2014, 05:10 PM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by Ridge Runner
the feeder turns me off more than the fence, but its legal in tx, congrats
RR
My thoughts exactly. I'm quite aware that the fence in the video won't keep a deer in but a feeder and a fence in a video just puts me off. I've never hunted deer over a feeder and I never will. I've hunted TX several times and we stalked them down and I prefer that style of hunting.

But like I said, as long as it is legal, to each his own.
Old 11-17-2014, 06:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by flags
My thoughts exactly. I'm quite aware that the fence in the video won't keep a deer in but a feeder and a fence in a video just puts me off. I've never hunted deer over a feeder and I never will. I've hunted TX several times and we stalked them down and I prefer that style of hunting.

But like I said, as long as it is legal, to each his own.
lol a fence puts you off?
Old 11-17-2014, 11:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by rockport
I,ve hunt deer here in va, wv, and ky for 40+ years, never would you see a mature buck jump a cattle fence into a wide open field during daylight unless he was in flight mode. they do in tx for a couple reasons, #1 they are conditioned to it, been fed year round they,re whole life, #2 does at the feeder during the rut, put a feeder up in the woods here and you'll never see a mature buck under it during daylight, but it will hold does so the bucks will show up during the rut, its ok if legal, just not my preferred method.
RR
Old 11-18-2014, 04:19 AM
Fork Horn

one more tiny piece of advice for those of you who are against hunting over a little corn pile or other bait..

Do not ever go on an outfitted hunt with a guide in a state where baiting is legal because you will have just about a 100% chance of hunting baited stand..
You pay for these hunts to kill a deer whether you want to admit that or not, the outfitter gets paid no matter what but his #1 goal is to put you on deer..
Oh you can ask to hunt a non-baited area but your odds will drop greatly since most every one in the state is baiting.
But that might be what you want.. Then you can go home with an empty truck bed feeling good about yourself your ethics are beyond reproach.

I do have to add one more thing ..The outfitter I have hunted with several times in KY wishes baiting was illegal in that state, he spends $1000s a year on corn.. His way of thinking if he does not do it and the adjoining land owners all do and he will not be able to put his clients on deer even though he is an excellent guide and outfitter..

I have killed two good bucks in KY hunting with him both times hunting baited stands and both times after nearly a full week of daylight to dark sitting passing smaller bucks..

not trying to change any hearts or minds but lets cut all the negativity and personal attacks..

So in closing lol..My best advice as one hunter to another is you don't say anything about my hunting methods and I won't question yours.. it may not be your cup of tea but we are all hunters and love the outdoors..
Old 11-18-2014, 05:07 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by rockport
Yep. I grew up doing most my hunting in the wide open spaces of the Rockies. We didn't have a lot of fences and we didn't have any feeders. I've also done a lot of hunting in the mountains of VA and the river bottoms of FL. Not many fences there either. So yes, seeing a fence in a video about hunting kind of "puts me off". I equate fences with livestock and in TX there are a lot of deer shot every year behind game proof fences. I understand the fence in this video wasn't game proof but I still get "put off" by it.

But it is the feeder I mostly find disagreeable. Anytime you artificially feed wildlife you condition it. I personally want no part of it. But like I have said, if it is legal, then have at it. I myself, will pass.

Feel free to disagree, but do you really think you're going to change my mind?
Old 11-18-2014, 06:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by ojibwa
You pay for these hunts to kill a deer whether you want to admit that or not, the outfitter gets paid no matter what but his #1 goal is to put you on deer....
Some people may view the situation that way but that logic is distorted. Commercialization has created this view and it's so prevalent these days it's hard to realize.

Success is only defined by a kill? Not hardly.
The purpose of an outfitter or guide is to increase success odds and provide an overall experience/service the client wouldn't experience otherwise. Reputable outfitters will tell a customer odds aren't guaranteed. Percentages can be quite low as a whole.

The more shortcuts are taken, the less it is about hunting. The outfitter in your above post knows this but circumstances cause him to go w/the flow to earn a living.If it's legal, the customers ethics and their dime, so be it. More power to them. They can have it. Like anything else, no one has to agree.

Last edited by Game Stalker; 11-18-2014 at 06:13 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.