Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Roast & Stew meat

Old 10-31-2014, 12:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Oldtimr
I like to make a venison stew with a bottle of Guiness in it cooked till it is thick and the meat is so soft you hardly have to chew, I also like to make venson Chile with both cubes and ground venison. I enjoy cooking venison as much as I like huntng for it.
Yeah I use a red wine vinegar but I also cook it down thick. Its good stuff. I just do ground deer in my chile and I have to make sure my wife doesn't put brown sugar in it which is good every once in a while but not every time.

We do a lot of wild/from scratch meals. I'm quickly running out of time to get my fall turkey for thanksgiving,
Old 10-31-2014, 01:30 PM
Fork Horn

BBQ only. I have no other cooking interest !!
Old 10-31-2014, 02:00 PM
Boone & Crockett

I also smoke BBQ, but there are many aspects to cooking game which to me, is part of the whole hunting picture. The kill is the begining of the journey.
Old 10-31-2014, 03:24 PM
Typical Buck

To answer the OP's question, yes roasts can be cut into steaks, cubes, or whatever, or the roasts and stew meat can be ground into burger (be sure to add 10% or so beef fat or bacon when you grind your burger).

I've been butchering all of my game (from deer to moose) myself for over 40 years. I generally only make roasts or burger. Later, if I want steaks, I'll slice up a roast. I also use more burger than anything else, so before each new hunting season, I used to grind all of the roasts that I had in my freezer into burger.

Oldtimr, that cheese steak or chipped meat recipe you posted looks real good. I'll have to try it.
Old 10-31-2014, 03:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

On another note I made prob the best deer stew ever!

1-2 pounds deer or beef stew meat
1-2tbl spoons of Paula deens house seasoning
1-2 table spoons of cooking oil or olive oil.
1 onion
2 cup chicken broth
4 cups beef broth
1/2 cup red cooking wine
2-4 carrots sliced into 1/2" pieces
2-4 stalks of celery sliced into 1/2" pieces
2-4 potato's cut into small cubes
1 small sweet potato cut into small cubes
1 can of corn
2-3 tablespoons of soy sauce
salt and pepper to taste

this is a variation of a different recipe...but this worked out great. add or subtract water to desired consistency...
add soy sauce to deer or beef let sit for 10-15 minutes. then add 1-2 tablespoons of Paula deen's house seasoning and mix stew meat.
meanwhile saute onions untill they start to brown. Once browned to your liking add stew meat and brown meat on all sides. once browned add the cooking wine to get all the nice flavor off the pan. When this is complete add to crock pot.
in a 6qt crock pot add the beef & chicken broth. put crock pot on high setting. add celery, carrots let cook for 2-3 hours. stir every 30 minutes or so.
after 2 hours set the crock pot to low and add sweet potato, regular potato's and corn. Let "stew" for another 2-3 hours. can add peas if you like 5 minutes before serving. serve with crackers, biscuit, rolls...if desired. Also you can add red pepper flakes to individual bowl to spice it up. The rest of my family doesnt like spicey so thats how I get away with it. Hopefully this recipe is not too difficult to understand
Old 10-31-2014, 06:57 PM
MZS
Typical Buck

For leftover meat from a year or years gone by, chili is a good way to use it. Cut it up, fry and brown it, and place in a huge pot of chili. Then freeze the leftovers in containers and you will have quick lunches for quite some time.
Old 11-01-2014, 02:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

Talking

Here is a link to crock pot deer roast search I did on the net. there are several recipes there.

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Slow-Co...cipeArrow_Left

Nice thing about the crock pot you can set it up to start cooking today and have a complete meal the next day and all you did is take the time to set it up to cook for 8 to 12 hours.

We like to do ours a lot like a pork roast using root veggies.

Al
Old 11-02-2014, 05:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Historically,

some hunters make the worst cooks imaginable.
Old 11-02-2014, 05:38 AM
MZS
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Valentine
some hunters make the worst cooks imaginable.
My dad, when we he took me camping, made "camping eggs". He stirred pieces of raw bacon and other things in with the scrambled eggs. Of course, the eggs never got up enough heat to cook the bacon. So I can testify to the fact that eating mostly-raw bacon will not kill you every time.