Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Season Opener? Bag Limits?

Old 10-31-2014, 03:30 AM
Spike

Default Season Opener? Bag Limits?

Hey, guys/gals. I was wondering where all ya'll hunt and when your firearms season opens and what your limits are.

I hunt in Georgia in the Northern Zone. Some counties have special regs on either sex days, but most of the Northern Zone firearm season is Oct 18th - Jan 1st. Either sex everyday except Dec 1st-25th. I'm really not sure why they limited our doe days this year and last. We're allowed to take TEN does and 2 bucks every year. One buck has to be a min of 4 points on one side, each one inch or longer (so an 8pointer or bigger pretty much). Our other buck can be a spike, or whatever. Some counties in GA have antler restrictions.

I only shoot a buck if its a really nice one, or its getting toward the end of the season(like my profile buck that I shot on second to last day of the season last year)and I havent bagged one yet. There are larger bucks in southern GA, but most of the ones in N GA are about the size of the 8er in my profile pic. I've seen some monster 11+ pointers around my area, but they're few and far between. It all depends on what they're eating. We're not allowed to put out any supplements, minerals, salts, attractants, food...nothing.

I usually just kill doe because the meat is SO MUCH better....and I'm a regular Iron Chef when it comes to venison.

What about ya'll?
Old 10-31-2014, 04:51 AM
MZS
Typical Buck

Up in N. WI it is one buck-only during archery and one buck-only during gun this year. They finally are putting the brakes on the almost unlimited harvesting of recent years to get the herd numbers back up.
Old 10-31-2014, 12:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

Al. ... this year we have 2-Zones. "Gun Season" in the Zone that I hunt most of the time opens Saturday before Thanksgiving and ends Jan. 31. Limit is one doe per day and 3 antlered bucks per season, one of which must have at least 4 points on at least one side. Can hunt with muzzle loader 5 days before "gun season" opens.
Old 10-31-2014, 04:04 PM
Typical Buck

In Montana, our general "gun" season for deer is October 25 through November 30.

Archery season is generally the 1st of September to the Sunday before the general season opens in October.

An "A" tag is good in most units for one deer, either sex, either whitetail or mule deer. You can also buy a "B" tag for a whitetail doe in some units. You can use your tag in archery and/or gun season, but it is only good for one deer.

Basically, we are allowed one buck per year, and in some units, an additional whitetail doe.
Old 10-31-2014, 04:24 PM
Giant Nontypical

Unlimited does in NC, 4 bucks on the coast, 2 elsewhere...
Old 11-01-2014, 03:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

Talking

You have to read the Michigan rules book as different deer management units have different buck rules as well as doe harvesting.
Where I live in the Lower you can get two bucks in any season one have to be a 4 on one side the other can be as small as the spike with 3 inch tines.
Doe permits are 5 per day over the counter where licenses are sold.

Where my deer camp is in the UPPER the buck rule is different. Also not doe permits even for the drawing they hold for some units of the state.

Al