Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Help decipher this scenario.

Old 10-29-2014, 05:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by flyinlowe
I was doing some looking around on Grimm Reapers web site. They say their heads will close up on exit because of the inertia from the bolt slowing down so fast. The way all the hair was in the blades it looked like it had stayed closed. Due to the damage of the carcass from scavengers I didn't really pay much attention to the exit wound because I was assuming it stayed closed, I never dreamed they would close after the fact.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qZOnwNS_cPw
either way there are plenty of quality heads on the market that you don't have to worry about whether or not they worked or will work next time.

This is just my opinion but to me when the option are A. a broadhead that will work or
B. a broadhead that will probably work its a pretty easy decision and that is not even getting into penetration issues.

Last edited by rockport; 10-29-2014 at 05:50 PM.
Old 10-29-2014, 06:33 PM
Typical Buck

Not sure if your talking about driving distance? I live about 30 miles from where we were at, however my wife and son were not home so I didn't have the option to go back that night. Her only being nine I had to get her home, homework, bath, etc. It is a shame. I felt bad checking in a partial carcass but I try to always do the right thing. I have a lifetime license in Indiana so I am not really limited on my number of doe tags.
Old 10-30-2014, 02:11 AM
Spike

I almost lost a 10 pt. in Ohio about 4 yrs. ago trying a Rage broad head. good blood trail at 1st then a trickle here and there then a drop and down to nothing. I had to do a grid search to finally find it. I went back to my fixed blade thunderhead 125's. I figure why take the chance of even 1 time having a broad head not opening.. it may be the biggest buck you will ever get a shot at and I would rather have it something I did wrong, then a broad head not opening up.
just my 2 cents take it or leave it.
Old 10-30-2014, 09:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by rockport

This is just my opinion but to me when the option are A. a broadhead that will work or
B. a broadhead that will probably work its a pretty easy decision and that is not even getting into penetration issues.
My thoughts exactly. I prefer slick tricks, they are awesome.

Too bad you lost your deer to the yotes... sounds like you ended up putting a good shot on it, and just some unfortunate timing kept you from the recovery. I think I'd have done a little more autopsy to know whether or not the blades opened up for sure. With a broadhead its pretty easy to tell on a complete pass thru, unless you have some extreme angle ... you see the x or triangle, etc.
Old 10-30-2014, 10:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

Glad that you found her. Sucks the yotes got a free lunch.
Old 10-30-2014, 10:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

could be the expandable did what it was supposed to. Just may have closed the broadhead back with the flopping around the deer did, because there is hair lodged in the blade so it had to open.
Old 10-30-2014, 02:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by flyinlowe
Not sure if your talking about driving distance? I live about 30 miles from where we were at, however my wife and son were not home so I didn't have the option to go back that night. Her only being nine I had to get her home, homework, bath, etc. It is a shame. I felt bad checking in a partial carcass but I try to always do the right thing. I have a lifetime license in Indiana so I am not really limited on my number of doe tags.
No in the woods. How far from your Blind or Treestand was the Deer when you found it the next day? 50 yards,100yards ect. You did nothing wrong in my book. Had to take care of you kid.

HJ