Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Ethical bow hunting?

Old 10-30-2014, 10:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by WV Hunter
To consistently kill big bucks, first you have to have em. Location, Location, Location.
Where I live/hunt, I would honestly have a hard time killing a big one every year if I was spotlighting. LOL. But its all good... you have to work with what you have.

I'm sure there are folks that do unethical things on a regular basis, just to show off what they got. Heck there have been several nationally known big names that have gone down for this. BUT... I do believe most folks are law abiding, and work hard for what they get. I have a couple friends that kill big ones every year...but they live where there are quite a few big ones so the odds are more in their favor than other areas.

Oh, and the deer lose their heads all along the roadways around here. I saw 2 like that last week, and the rut isn't even underway yet. I know in some states it is illegal.
Yeah ive also seen several headless deer along the highway already(hit by cars)
Old 11-04-2014, 12:00 PM
Spike

I don't think their is a lot of poaching. Im sure a bunch of people do it but its not a lot. But a lot of it is location, skill, and preparation. For white tail we hunt our own property and have a prime location. With not a lot of pressure around us so their tends to be a lot of nice bucks. Plus they follow similar patterns each year and with trail cameras out often and just seeing them frequently we know generally when their are nice bucks. This will be my first year hunting with a bow for them, in the past I've done the rifle season but have had a couple people take deer on our property with bows. My father has a friend who has a large property that has great elk and mule deer on it. Sense he doesn't do much hunting we are allowed to come and have always had great success. We tend not to do much public land deer hunting. But do go on public land for Elk and Antelope sometimes. I haven't had much luck with antelope but we haven't done much scouting etc for them when we have gone. Elk hunting we will only hunt for them when we can draw a tag for an excellent unit or private land. We've generally been successful with nice bucks, etc on hunts. So it really comes down to knowing the area and having prime hunting land. On public land their is a lot more pressure and nice bucks tend to get killed quicker and more often so their is less of them around. I won't shoot a buck unless its really nice, I'd rather go home empty handed then of killed a buck that had a lot of potential development. If you haven't had good success look into hunting private land or look for a better area. Scouting more and making sure your techniques are good such as scent prevention etc.
Old 11-04-2014, 12:11 PM
Giant Nontypical

they could, but there are guys who are just in the right places. They get there after years of hunting and forming relationships.

I think big bucks are easy to get on, there just isn't that many around. The ones I've killed I thought were lazy, one never got up out of his bed even after I climbed the tree right next to him.

I know a guy round here who manages properties, they get him on big bucks and he hasn't ruined it. He always takes a nice buck.
Old 11-04-2014, 01:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Some people

spend thousands on deer and deer hunting. Some base their income on the hunting of deer. For many, hunting is not a profession. For some, perhaps the lucky few, it is.

I know one professional who deducts his land on his IRS return.
And he has equipment most hunters cannot afford, but winds up as an expense- an accounting expense. Big difference in a full time professional and a part-time amateur.
Old 11-07-2014, 02:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

My nephew kills nice bucks every year... While I kill does and small yearling bucks...You wanna know his secret... He hunts over corn and shoots them with a rifle during bow season... Out of his house...

I believe there are more outlaws in the woods than "ethical" hunters
Old 11-07-2014, 03:28 PM
Boone & Crockett

Well Longbeard, Have you turned him in to the game authorties? If not, you are part of the problem!