Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Ladder stands and climing sticks. >

Ladder stands and climing sticks.

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Ladder stands and climing sticks.

Old 10-21-2014, 01:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

Talking Ladder stands and climing sticks.

My brother went out bow hunting at a two year old double ladder stand an 18 footer. Coming down at the end of the day the 3d rung from the top let loose from the weld. He broke his back. Lucky he had his cell phone in a chest pocket so he was able to call for help.

I was telling a friend yesterday about the broken rung so he should check the rung welds on his. What he found was maybe even worse. Where the sections of the ladder slide together he found one of the male pieces completely broken away and on the other side huge cracks all around.

Becarefull people and check those ladders and climbing sticks.

Al
Old 10-21-2014, 06:27 AM
Typical Buck

Cheap Chinese steel!
Old 10-21-2014, 08:10 AM
Fork Horn

Man! Hope all is well with your brother! You would think they would double check EVERYTHING they manufacture. Prayers for your brother.
Old 10-21-2014, 12:14 PM
MZS
Typical Buck

That is too bad it happened - sorry for your brother and your family. Thanks for letting us know, though. Seems like this could happen with any ladder stand sold as they all seem to have rungs welded like this. One would have to install support brackets on each side of each rung.
Old 10-22-2014, 07:15 AM
Spike

I have lifelines on my hang-on and ladder stands. You never know what can happen in the dark or in wet and slippery conditions. For the money ($30), you can't afford NOT to have them!

I will be taking a close look at my stand also.

Sorry to hear about your brother, hope he makes a full recovery.
Old 10-22-2014, 10:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

Talking

Both were alum ladders.
I have yet to see a body harness set up that works worth a crap when going up or down a ladder or tree stand.

They think brother is going to be Ok once he heals as he can move his legs a little. His mouth is fine too.

Al
Old 10-22-2014, 03:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by rugerno1
I have lifelines on my hang-on and ladder stands. You never know what can happen in the dark or in wet and slippery conditions. For the money ($30), you can't afford NOT to have them!
Agree. And they are even cheaper if you make them yourself. Its really the only way you can be safe in a ladder stand climbing up down.

FWIW, all our ladder stands are steel. Have not had an issue with any welds on steps yet (knock on wood), and some are 8-10yrs old.
Old 10-23-2014, 08:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

Was the stand left out year round? That might speed up the rotting process.

Lifelines can be used, but honestly, while I have them on all my hang ons, they are not on my one ladder stand.
Old 10-24-2014, 03:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Bob H in NH
Was the stand left out year round? That might speed up the rotting process.
No way a 2yr old ladder should fail. Most of ours are left out year round, and while at some point I expect they will deteriorate and need to be replaced... any stand should make it more than 2yrs, imo.
Old 10-24-2014, 09:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

Dang sorry about the injury. Hope all turns out OK.

I use a lineman's belt when initially setting up my stick ladders or screw-in steps. I tie off a safety rope as I go and am never not attached to some sort of life-line as I set the stick ladder or steps. Awkward but no big deal considering the consequences. And while "lineman's belt" is to be not considerd a true fall restraint, it sure as heck beats nothing. After setting my ladder or steps, I then tie off a HD climber's grade rope well above the top rung and loop in a Prussik knot. I am never unattached from this line when either climbing up or down.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.