Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Pa muzzle loader

Old 10-20-2014, 04:36 AM
Spike

I hear you Oldtimr, I don't own a flintlock but do have an inline. I lent my inline out to my hunting buddy. I was archery hunting this weekend in Ohio. I just think if you must have a muzzle loader season either have the flintlock in Oct. and the inline or flintlock in Dec. the other option as you mentioned would be to have a muzzle loader season after xmas with both inline and flintlock being legal. It is tough for flintlock hunters in Dec. powder getting wet, blowing snow, as so forth. I just don't see why they would want a inline season in Oct. nice weather and flintlock in Dec. wind ,snow, cold temp. just doesn't add up to me.
Old 10-20-2014, 04:44 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Oldtimr
Actually, it is a great law, and at the end of the deer season when most people don't venture out doors and the legal buck have been picked over pretty well and some have already lost antlers. It starts the day after Christmas. It gets damned cold up here that time of year, this isn't GA. And, it is a flintlock season after all, not a muzzle loader season. What the poster is talking about is the the actual muzzleloader season, antlerless deer only where you can use inline, percussion or flintlock. You probably should not be calling other states rules stupid, I am pretty sure we could find some of yours less than desirable but are gentleman enough not to say it since it is not our sate.
At any rate the flint lock only law is a stupid law just like the no Sunday hunting law that many states have.. I wouldn't want to see a long bow only season.. What I would really like to see is some game law standardization for state to state..

And yes I too could find several game laws in GA stupid, but I don't take it personal like you obviously do... I didn't write the law so why should I get bent out of shape....and you shouldn't either..
Old 10-20-2014, 04:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default One great modern thing about flintlocks

You don't need a modern percussion cap to hunt with it.
Old 10-20-2014, 09:07 AM
Fork Horn

Actually, it is a great law, and at the end of the deer season when most people don't venture out doors and the legal buck have been picked over pretty well and some have already lost antlers. It starts the day after Christmas. It gets damned cold up here that time of year, this isn't GA. And, it is a flintlock season after all, not a muzzle loader season. What the poster is talking about is the the actual muzzleloader season, antlerless deer only where you can use inline, percussion or flintlock. You probably should not be calling other states rules stupid, I am pretty sure we could find some of yours less than desirable but are gentleman enough not to say it since it is not our sate.
Actually, it IS a dumb law, just like no Sunday hunting for anything beside crows and coyotes. Pennsylvania has lot of dumb laws, and being a lifetime resident who's bought a license & paid my taxes, I don't feel ashamed to say it.
Old 10-20-2014, 10:53 AM
Boone & Crockett

Actually, PA has more dumb hunters than dumb laws. There is always someplace else to go hunting where it suits you better. In addition, just because you think a law is dumb, doesn't mean everone has the same belief. I know plenty of people who do not want to see generalized Sunday hunting, there is already Sunday hunting on some species, and a lot more who are very happy with a Flintlock only season, so blanket statements like the law is dumb isn't near the truth, it may be dumb to you and good to others. For every law that is changed to make someone happy, there are just as many who will not be happy with a change. The beauty of this country is, you can find a state that allows what you want if you don't find it at home.

Last edited by Oldtimr; 10-20-2014 at 11:05 AM.
Old 10-20-2014, 01:09 PM
Giant Nontypical

When muzzle loadings seasons were reopened back in the '60s and '70s it was because of the lobbying efforts of the NMLRA...Those of us that still use traditional muzzleloaders do so because we want to know how to use them under different situations...Some of us also educate others on their use...

It is unfortunate that most of the public in our Country are ignorant of our history...I have given talks for over 30 years on the American Revolution to schools and Boy Scout troops...Some of my attendees have gone on to be snipers in Iraq and Afghanistan and some are currently history teachers...One even made a flintlock for his Senior project at the local high school and is currently a game warden for the State of North Carolina...

Inline rifles were developed because some hunters didn't want to take the time to learn how to properly use traditional muzzle loading rifles...They wanted a short cut to the shorter seasons put in place by Game Departments because of the efforts of the NMLRA...

At the time inlines started hitting the market, whitetail deer populations were rapidly expanding and states were under pressure to increase harvests because of car collisions..
Many states have also started allowing cross bows during what has been archery season...With increased populations, highways and people wanting to live on the outskirts of cities deer collisions in North Carolina are over 20,000 each year...So most states have adapted more lenient bag limits and seasons...

I built this rifle back in the '80s, it's a .54 caliber flintlock...I've killed over 50 deer with it..

Last edited by nchawkeye; 10-20-2014 at 01:14 PM.
Old 10-20-2014, 01:30 PM
Boone & Crockett

Yep, here is a man who knows what he is talking about. It is an insult to muzzleloader hunters to put an inline in the same category as a real muzzleloader, percussion or flintlock or earlier firearms. Especially since some of them are made for smokeless powder. Todays hunters are spoiled and lazy and are looking for shortcuts to skill. There is no such thing, just pathetic substitutions.
Old 10-20-2014, 02:17 PM
Fork Horn

Actually, PA has more dumb hunters than dumb laws. There is always someplace else to go hunting where it suits you better. In addition, just because you think a law is dumb, doesn't mean everone has the same belief. I know plenty of people who do not want to see generalized Sunday hunting, there is already Sunday hunting on some species, and a lot more who are very happy with a Flintlock only season, so blanket statements like the law is dumb isn't near the truth, it may be dumb to you and good to others. For every law that is changed to make someone happy, there are just as many who will not be happy with a change. The beauty of this country is, you can find a state that allows what you want if you don't find it at home.
I stand corrected. Maybe the word dumb was a poor choice of vocabulary. Should have used "backwards" and "outdated". I'm sure Oldtimr will come back with some rebuttal, all I have to say is sit back & wait, The Times, They are a Changing.
Old 10-20-2014, 03:06 PM
Boone & Crockett

Backwards and outdated according to who? Those who want easy and don't want to pay their dues? Lot of those posers around. Gimmicks verses skill, end result means more than the experience. Sad comentary for those folks. They will never know what they have missed. All they care about is success at any cost, the easier the better. Lets see, Pa has an early archery season, an early muzzleloader season, a firearms deer season that includes center fire and muzzleloaders and archery equipment, a late archery season and a flintlock season. Anyone who is not satisfied with that is a greedy, pathetic individual who would not be satisfied unless a dead deer would be delievered to their door, and who believes they are entitled to whatever they want. That is the definitive problem with this country today, and I have absolutly no sympathy or empathy for their entitlement attitude.

Last edited by Oldtimr; 10-20-2014 at 03:18 PM.
Old 10-21-2014, 02:20 AM
Fork Horn

Ah, the entitlement card, should have seen that coming. What's next, saying that anyone who's in favor of changing any of the antiquated laws we have in PA is a liberal, and an Obama voter?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.