Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
obtaining permission to hunt via mail.. >

obtaining permission to hunt via mail..

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

obtaining permission to hunt via mail..

Old 10-17-2014, 07:25 AM
Fork Horn

Default obtaining permission to hunt via mail..

I know a personal face to face visit is always best [in most cases] but I have several land owners in my area who live out of state..
I am trying to put together a great letter in order obtain permission or least give it a good try..
It would only be my wife and I and we would only be bow hunting..

Has anyone else done this and do you have a copy or any ideas..
Old 10-17-2014, 08:25 AM
Boone & Crockett

I have always knocked on the door, making sure I look presentable, not a suit mind you but a sport shirt and appropriate trousers. I believe it is easier to say no if you are not standing in front of the landowner so they can look at you hear you and get a favorable impression of you.

If you do write a letter, include your phone number and ask them to call you. If you know anyone they know, ask those people if you may use their names as a reference. Good luck.
Old 10-18-2014, 06:18 AM
Fork Horn

I agree with Oldtimr, the best way to approach someone with that type of situation is in person. But if you have to write a letter; I would definitely make it readable and not just a boring block letter that he'll read through so fast to say NO. Space it out, to make it look very easy to read and interesting. I would definitely leave your phone number and your address, so he can either contact you or if he's in town to stop by and talk to you.
Old 10-18-2014, 07:08 AM
Boone & Crockett

Perhaps even a nice photo, so he can see you don't look like Charles Manson.
Old 10-18-2014, 10:15 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Oldtimr
I have always knocked on the door, making sure I look presentable, not a suit mind you but a sport shirt and appropriate trousers. I believe it is easier to say no if you are not standing in front of the landowner so they can look at you hear you and get a favorable impression of you.
I live in GA they live in CA F2F is not possible..
Old 10-20-2014, 05:27 AM
Spike

Ojibwa, It looks like a person to person is out of the question but, I would try and find out as much about the property as possible. Maybe even another hunter who is hunting there now. he may very well know the land owner and could be your reference you need. the land owner could get a 1000 letters from strangers asking to hunt on his land. A phone call would be better to tell him a little about yourself and your intentions. also if you do get permission to hunt try and send a Thank you card after the season to him whether you got a deer or not. even a fruit basket at xmas goes along way.
Old 10-20-2014, 04:27 PM
Fork Horn

I usually just call the person if I'm not able to knock on their door. I always just make sure I make it clear I'm not some loon that's going to go in and mess up their land or cause problems with neighbors or anything like that. Letting them know I'm looking for myself as well as for my girlfriend never hurts either.