Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Need some advice. too many bucks??? >

Need some advice. too many bucks???

Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Need some advice. too many bucks???

Old 09-21-2014, 04:11 PM
Spike

Default Need some advice. too many bucks???

While this might not sound like a problem I think there might be one. I have only been able to hunt one stand this year because I havent had the time to make sure the others are ready to hunt yet. This past week was opening week and I hunted twice. I got a #160 8 pointer the first afternoon of the season.

Now heres the problem I think I have. I have a 450 acre farm and this past week I hunted a stand over looking a 20 acre soybean field of which only about half of it was in my field of view. I saw 12 different Deer this week. 10 of them were Bucks and only 2 were Does. Four of them including the one I shot looked like nice mature deer with tall racks outside the ears. There was one other 8 point and two nice 6 points. There were two nice 4 pointers that will hopefully fill out well in the coming years. The remaining Bucks were young spikes.

So Im guessing that 9 Bucks in a 10 acre field for 2 does is a bit much. If I need to kill a few more which do I take out first? Fore sure I will take another one of the other larger, mature Bucks but should I kill a few of those Spikes as well? Or is there not even a problem at all and once it gets closer to Rut they will move to other parts of my farm with more Does to breed with? Even though I havent hunted any other stands I have seen pictures on my trail cameras and there are a lot more Does on other parts of the farm. Of course there are also Bucks there as well so I dont know what to do about this large group of Bucks.
Old 09-22-2014, 05:34 AM
Spike

I It would be pretty difficult to kill in order to even out the heard with buck restrictions. If you wanted more of a 50-50 then don't shoot any does and continue shooting your mature bucks.

160 inch 8 point?? That would be pretty impressive. I'd like to see the picture.
Old 09-22-2014, 05:57 AM
Giant Nontypical

Bucks are still in bachelor groups, not a problem this time of year..
Old 09-22-2014, 06:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by illiniquack15
I It would be pretty difficult to kill in order to even out the heard with buck restrictions. If you wanted more of a 50-50 then don't shoot any does and continue shooting your mature bucks.

160 inch 8 point?? That would be pretty impressive. I'd like to see the picture.
I believe it was 160 lbs not inches.
Old 09-22-2014, 01:03 PM
Spike

160 inch 8 is possible depending on location age and management. ive got 1 i found and shot one 163 inches and one thats upper 50s. so its possible
Old 09-22-2014, 06:07 PM
Super Moderator

He said a "#160" that typically is short for lbs. Sounds like a nice deer either way! Anything over 140" is a BIG 8.
-Jake
Old 09-23-2014, 04:07 AM
MZS
Typical Buck

I would gladly settle for 1/4 of your problems!
Old 09-28-2014, 01:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

If Your allowed to shoot another Buck in Your State go for it since You have so many,once the Rut kicks in most Bucks will disperse looking for their own area/territory and search for Does.....as mentioned a little thinning out on Bucks and letting the Doe's alone to reproduce is a good idea!

Taking out Bucks with undesirable Racks or deformed Antlers is a good idea or a Buck with a poor looking rack after 2 or 3 years old is probably not going to get much better?
Old 10-16-2014, 05:50 PM
Spike

You have no problem. Time of year certainly has something to do with it. We've hunted the same 400 acre farm for 8 years. We have more bucks on cam than does every year. So far this year more does. We've been patient in only shooting mature deer and now we have a bunch of mature buck and doe.
Old 10-17-2014, 02:29 AM
Spike

I Agree with the rest on here time of year bucks all together. only looking at one sight feeding area. does on camera other areas you are not hunting. I don't see a problem I see a perfect hunting area, but if you feel you need to get rid of a buck or 2 let me know. If it were me and I already had a good buck shot I would shoot a spike next if you are trying to manage your deer herd.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.