Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Hunting with Family

Old 09-16-2014, 08:45 AM
Spike

Default Hunting with Family

Hi all! I am new to this hunting scene but I would really appreciate some input from experienced hunters. My husband and son love hunting and the outdoors in general. My son is 14 and just started to hunt and this fall is going elk hunting for the first time ever with my husband (his Dad). He's super excited! Just wanting some opinions here. My husband has a hunting shack where they are staying while they hunt and my husband's father (my father in law) and his friend are also going to go up to the shack and hunt for elk as well. I was really disappointed to hear that. I assumed that my son and husband would be hunting WITH my father-in-law, not that they would be forming two separate hunting parties. Am I thinking wrong? It seems like this is competition for each other, as they are both hunting close together at the same time for an elk. Plus my father-in-law has hunted elk for over 40 years and has some amazing racks. I thought he would take his grandson under his wing (and my hubby too, as he hasn't done much elk hunting). I thank anyone for replying to me, I wish all an enjoyable and safe hunting season!

Last edited by New Hunters Mom; 09-16-2014 at 01:29 PM. Reason: additional info
Old 09-16-2014, 09:12 AM
Boone & Crockett

Doesn't sound like a problem to me. The smaller the hunting party the better the odds of taking an animal, too many people make too much noise, too many people need to agree on a plan of action which can cause problems. Since you do not know much about hunting, just be confident that your husband will be able to show your son a good time and teach him some lifes lessons along the way. He can interact with his grandfather back at the cabin in the evening while they swap stories and laughter. It would be unwise to try to push your ideas onto the hunters. No matter what happens, they will have a good time on a father and son hunt, actually those are the best ones. I wish I could have one more hunt with just my dad and me, but that cannot happen. Hunting is more than killing an animal, a lot more.
Old 09-16-2014, 09:19 AM
Spike

Thank you! A very reasonable response, and I had some of these very thoughts myself. I guess I was just surprised that they would be hunting separately. I agree, there is much more to hunting than just killing an animal. I am very grateful that my husband loves to spend time in the woods with our son and they are creating very special memories together. Sounds like you created some of your own with your own Dad.
Old 09-16-2014, 09:20 AM
Super Moderator

I think you're probably over thinking this. It is common for people to split up while hunting. It sounds like they are staying in the same "shack" so they will see plenty of each other. Sounds like a good plan and a good time with family.
-Jake
Old 09-16-2014, 09:22 AM
Spike

Thank you for your response! That's a great point of view. I appreciate hearing what hunters have to say, I am not a hunter myself but love to see others enjoying it.
Old 09-16-2014, 10:50 AM
Giant Nontypical

I grew up hunting elk so to me it makes more sense to have 2 separate small parties hunting. Elk country is generally pretty 'big" country and you often have to cover a lot of ground in order to find the elk. More eyes and ears means more ground can be covered. Once the elk are located then they can and probably will coordinate a plan.

When i go back to CO to hunt elk with my family it isn't too unusual for us to split off into ones and twos for just this reason. On an average year my family will tag out at about 50% on elk which is way above national average. I can only remember 2 season when we went 100%. Anything you can do to improve the odds is a good thing.

besides, I'm willing to be the kid gets to hunt with all the members before the hunt is over which means he'll be exposed to more methods and knowledge than just hunting with one member. In the end, it will all be good.
Old 09-16-2014, 05:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

I agree with the others. The time at camp (aka 'the shack') will be the knee-slapping, back-patting, chain-pulling 'bonding time' for the entire crew, but the time in the field hunting is far more productive if they split up.

The reality is that if you have 4 guys together, one big bull walks out, then only one gets the shot. Then maybe the next day they all go to a new spot, and the next guy gets a shot, and so on and so on. If they split up, then they can all have their own positions, and have a much more successful hunting trip.

As an example, my wife and I hunt together, and often take out some of our younger nephews or neighbor kids, whoever wants to go along. I don't even end up taking a rifle with me half of the time because the kid would shoot first, my wife bats clean up, and I'm deep in the reserves.
Old 09-16-2014, 06:53 PM
Spike

Thanks for your time, your explanation makes a lot of sense.
Old 09-16-2014, 06:55 PM
Spike

Thanks for your response! I'm new to this and I really appreciate what everyone has had to say. Your explanation was excellent and I especially like to hear how hunting is a family affair with so many responders. It truly is a wonderful way to bond and spend time with friends and family.
Old 09-17-2014, 05:37 AM
Typical Buck

It could also be that Grandpa is letting Dad have some time with his son so they can bond a little. This is a great time to do it as booth would be away from distractions doing something they both love. With the peace and quiet of the woods there is plenty of time for reflection and discussions about many things. Then they go back to the camp and enjoy the company of others.

This can be a very good thing for all involved.