Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
Fact or Fiction? Scentblocking question >

Fact or Fiction? Scentblocking question

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

Fact or Fiction? Scentblocking question

Old 09-07-2014, 08:25 AM
Spike

Default Fact or Fiction? Scentblocking question

Here's my opinion, what's yours? Feel free to attack, but let's play nice.

Scent is merely the olfactory detection of airborne particulate. I don't believe spraying on "scent blockers" can in any way, reduce the parts-per-million airborne particles released by the body, breath, sweat, etc. I agree with using scent free soaps for the body and clothing, but I'm thinking all the other stuff is a con.

Also, if you master hunting the wind, I don't see how a deer could smell you, regardless of how bad your stink is. If you put a drop of food coloring in a moving stream, it's impossible for the color to swim upstream. I find the same to be true with any scent in the wind. How else did our granparents go out in the woods without camo, without scentblock, and smoking cigars/pipes and sipping cheap whiskey?

I think it's easy for us hunters to be taken advantage of by B.S. marketing because we're extremely passionate about what we do and strive to become more effective at our craft. We want to believe.
And we love our toys (it's just fun).

If you had a competition between a highly skilled hunter with only his bow/gun and nothing else, and an average hunter with every and anything sold at Bass Pro/Cabela's... I'd bet a huge sum of money that the skills would trump the "technology" any day of the week.
Old 09-07-2014, 08:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

All true. You can't cover up the scent . Just reduce it. No matter what you are going to have a smell. Hunt the wind
Old 09-07-2014, 08:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

The only time I buy scent blocking products is when items that I want happen to be scent blocking - in other words, I'd never seek it out as a characteristic, but I don't avoid buying something just because it has a BS line about scent blocking capability.

Antimicrobial materials are a different story, as in exercise clothing.

I hunt the wind.

In the grand scheme of things, wind hunters likely spend more on hunting than people that are fooled by advertising. I might have 3 stands overlooking the same kill zone (ambush position), so I have the investment in multiple stands. Someone that buys the line that their clothing conceals their scent will only have one stand. I'm more apt to get a shot at a deer, but they spent less on stands than I did.
Old 09-07-2014, 09:11 AM
Giant Nontypical

What do you do when the wind is swirling?

Adding another scent like in the wafers will help dilute your stink. It might give you a few more seconds to make the shot.
Old 09-07-2014, 09:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Muley Hunter
What do you do when the wind is swirling?

Adding another scent like in the wafers will help dilute your stink. It might give you a few more seconds to make the shot.
If all the smells in the woods don't cover your scent a little wafer certainly won't either.

Just think about how unrealistic the concept really is.

In the woods you are completely surrounded by natural smells. That is what a whitetail does is detect/pick out alarming smells in a natural environment. Hanging a little natural scent wafer on your shirt won't fool a whitetail for even a second. It simply doesn't work.

Its about like stepping in dog poo on your way in Mcdonalds and thinking people won't smell it if you pin a french fry on your hat.
Old 09-07-2014, 10:05 AM
Boone & Crockett

Unless you can hold your breath and not perspire for hours at a time, you are not even going to be close to scentless. I do watch the wind when I hunt deer, however, deer are curious, and unless they can relate a smell to danger, based on experience, they are as likely to investigate as to run away from a new smell. I hunt only 10 feet off the ground and I have killed as many deer downwind as upwind and most inside 50 yards and some as close as 10 yards.
Old 09-07-2014, 11:21 AM
Spike

Default scent

Good friend of mine is a biologist. He told me he read or participated in ( I don't remember which) a study that concluded that deer can smell and distinguish up to 5 different scents at once.

I don't buy any of the stuff like I use to.
I wash at night with ivory soap, wash my hair with my head n shoulders and go to sleep.
I don't wash my hunting clothes in scented detergent or mix them with my regular clothes.

My uncle has killed several big bucks farting and spitting grizzly. If its meant to happen, it happens.
His biggest is 166 B&C

Maybe that stuff helps with the bow hunters? i dont know, but I wont be buying a $300 ozone contraption that they show on the tv. Thats ridiculous.
Old 09-07-2014, 11:23 AM
Spike

What I mean is I use to buy that scent killer stuff by the case it seemed. Didn't seem to help or hurt my hunting. I'll save that money and buy a extra box of bullets to put up.
Old 09-07-2014, 12:10 PM
Typical Buck

What about ozonics? Even if it does work I would never pay the ridiculous price they want for it but was wandering what everyones thoughts are on it?
Old 09-07-2014, 12:18 PM
Boone & Crockett

That stuff is like fishing lures, it catches more hunters than game.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.